Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #1768  by odin

Wander wrote:Odin! I don't want to break into someone's threat but does one nerite snail lay eggs/reproduce? Or do you need two for that? I really want to get one and they are sold everywhere here but i don't want babies, that would ruin my tank very quickly :omg:
@Wander odin @ Odin's Opae ula tank(s) and progress journals.
 #1835  by Halocaridina

I checked on it today and it looked like there were about 12 hanging out together at the top of the big rock - unfortunately most of them dispersed when I got close to the tank to take a photo!

The algal film on the top seems to have become less thick since I added the Biodigest. It is now more speckled and less like a layer, which is good. I saw a shrimp upside down, so I think the shrimp may also be feeding on it.

Tested the S.G. again after topping up, it's currently roughly 1.011. I will test pH, KH, nitrates, etc later.

Although I don't like the algae on the glass and the top, I do like the look of it on the rocks, so I think I will leave it for now.
Last edited by Halocaridina on 22 Oct 2016 16:58, edited 1 time in total.
 #1837  by odin

Thats good to hear! The issue with adding a snail or 2 will be that they strip all the algae from the rocks which look so pretty.
 #1849  by Ann

Halocaridina wrote:Has anyone ever used a Robo Snail? Probably too big for my tank, but seems like an interesting product.

Too noisy. I would think that it wouls scare the fish.
Ann
 #1852  by Halocaridina

I am also thinking of ways to properly aquascape the chaetomorpha.

In this marine tank, someone effectively used it to fill the gaps between rocks, but I'm not sure this would look as good in a much smaller aquarium:

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/f ... e-aquarium

Freshwater aquarists sometimes do moss walls using java moss and mesh.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=java+ ... ZPah1iM%3A

Maybe a similar approach could work? Given the salt in the water, one would probably have to use plastic mesh rather than stainless steel, and it might be harder to manage given the grown habits of the chaeto.
 #1863  by Halocaridina

Today I used the Dennerle Alginator magnet to clean off the algae. I chose this specific magnet because it has curved edges designed to clean the curved corners of the Dennerle Nanocubes.

Unfortunately, while cleaning close to the bottom of the tank, some of the substrate got caught in the magnet and when I pulled the magnet across, left a few minor scratches which I only noticed afterwards. If you ever get this magnet and have a fine substrate, I would advise not taking it too close to the bottom, because the substrate can easily get caught on the Velcro-like material on the magnet.

On the bright side, the tank looks a lot better with the algae off the walls. Won't be seeing the tank for another week or two, so hopefully it hasn't totally regrown by then.
Last edited by Halocaridina on 23 Oct 2016 14:44, edited 1 time in total.