Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Anything and everything not related to Opae ula can go here!
 #1336  by odin

I have a alpha that's half clear and half orange, maybe he was from the same location?
 #1340  by Ann

I'm assuming that's quite possible. It says that environment plays a big part with coloration. They are both in those. Alkaline pools. Limestone affects the coloration greatly. It contributes to the clear aspect of color. M. Lohena can be found on Easter Island!
Ann
Last edited by Ann on 29 Sep 2016 14:26, edited 1 time in total.
 #1341  by Ann

The disjunctive distribution pattern of the Alpha could account for this.
 #1346  by opae ula related

Ann wrote:On page twenty there is a "white" variation. Page twenty-one has a yellow variation, and page twenty-three has a "pink" variation . In my own fevered little mind, I was thinking that if enough could be caught and mated, they could be become available to .opae Ula enthusiasts..
Oh ok, here is a video of mine showing a variety.
Per the book - The ones from Maui and Big Island are mostly red and the ones from Oahu are mostly pink to clear one tinged with orange or yellow. Some are banded. Like you mentioned maybe due to adaptation to environment.
If you jump to page 70, there are 8 genetically distinct (lineages) populations of opae ula. :ninja:

Last edited by opae ula related on 28 Sep 2016 17:57, edited 1 time in total.
 #1349  by Ann

That video is so great that I want to capture it, loop it, frame it, place it on my wall and watch it continuously.
You do have some serious diversity of coloration. This is where the proliferation and popularity will come from, the hobby breeders, not the breed for profit places.
 #1351  by opae ula related

Ann wrote:That video is so great that I want to capture it, loop it, frame it, place it on my wall and watch it continuously.
You do have some serious diversity of coloration. This is where the proliferation and popularity will come from, the hobby breeders, not the breed for profit places.
Ha. :grinning: You need a slim lcd tv attached to the wall with youtube on loop.
 #1353  by Ann

That might an idea. Electronics is not my strong point. I break everything electrical.
The clear color would be amazing to keep.
 #1356  by odin

I have at least one of the white ones, it has a green saddle too! Id love to try and breed pure white ones if that was ever possible. Im still not having much luck breeding the stripped only ones yet so im not holding out for much hope. :laugh: