Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Having issues with your tank or inhabitants? Need to know what equipment to use or have other questions? Post here!
 #8642  by robynyte

Hi there,

I've had my Opae tank set up for a month or two now with 10 shrimp, 1 nerite snail and some marimo.

I'd been reading about macro algae being a potential candidate for plants in brackish water so I bought some and added it to the tank 2-3 days ago.

Since adding it, I've noticed some clouds of absolutely tiny white things in the tank. The biggest concentration is above the macro algae itself, with a couple of smaller clouds in other places. I was wondering if it's maybe just something like a plankton bloom or bacterial bloom (although that seems less likely since these are visible to the eye), but wanted to check if anyone here had experienced anything similar and might know what they are/if they're harmful and if/when they might go away.

Thanks in advance :)

- Robyn
 #8643  by opae ula related

robynyte wrote:Hi there,

I've had my Opae tank set up for a month or two now with 10 shrimp, 1 nerite snail and some marimo.

I'd been reading about macro algae being a potential candidate for plants in brackish water so I bought some and added it to the tank 2-3 days ago.

Since adding it, I've noticed some clouds of absolutely tiny white things in the tank. The biggest concentration is above the macro algae itself, with a couple of smaller clouds in other places. I was wondering if it's maybe just something like a plankton bloom or bacterial bloom (although that seems less likely since these are visible to the eye), but wanted to check if anyone here had experienced anything similar and might know what they are/if they're harmful and if/when they might go away.

Thanks in advance :)

- Robyn
They move right? Normal. Eventually most will disappear over time.

#8644  by odin

Welcome to the forum! I was just going to post the same as above from one of my videos.

Are they attracted to the light in your tank?

Just to add, I highly doubt they will be harmful and I wouldn’t change or do anything.. if they have hitchhiked with the plant they will probably disappear over time as food for them will be scarce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro