Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Having issues with your tank or inhabitants? Need to know what equipment to use or have other questions? Post here!
 #2966  by odin

fredanddino wrote:how do they get in in the first place? never seen this before.
I'm not sure, mine just appeared after a while and they seem to grow and have a population boom then die down again and after a while all come back. I've noticed in my larvae tank there are some little white creatures that are different to the ones in the videos here and they don't seem to be attracted to light but rather just move around freely on the tank walls. They are slightly larger and move in short bursts almost like a badly filmed stop motion production :smile: I will try and capture some on camera.
 #2967  by odin

Here we go, these are soooo small they are like a pin tip/pinhead but lots of them. This is shot with a macro lens.

And here is a few standard and macro photos (they are the white specks)
Attachments:
wPg12f9.jpg
wPg12f9.jpg (143.11 KiB) Viewed 10066 times
GJHKAY1.jpg
GJHKAY1.jpg (134.44 KiB) Viewed 10066 times
tqENgQI.jpg
tqENgQI.jpg (145.68 KiB) Viewed 10066 times
Last edited by odin on 02 Apr 2017 13:56, edited 3 times in total.
 #3047  by Halocaridina

odin wrote:This is how mine behave before they all disappear,

Not sure how to get rid of them though :ow:
Based on movement maybe a type of ostracod? Here is a video, the fast golden-yellow things in this tank are freshwater ostracods, but most ostracods swim around in a similar way and have a similar rounded body shape.
 #3051  by odin

That video you have posted shows them moving alot like the things i cant ID in my tank which you said may be flatworms, kind of like a poor stop motion animation.