Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Having issues with your tank or inhabitants? Need to know what equipment to use or have other questions? Post here!
 #2675  by opae ula related

http://thebrackishtank.tumblr.com/post/ ... a-bit-of-a

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/BrackishSubW ... plants.htm

Found these sites that has a list of brackish plants and lots of other info.
Last edited by opae ula related on 04 Feb 2017 17:12, edited 1 time in total.
 #2676  by caine

I didn't know bacopa and Echinodorus are brackish compatible. I had some for some other projects. I wonder if they need to be acclamated slowly.
 #2757  by opae ula related

Also per the "Hawaiian Anchialine Pools" book, the plant "Ruppia Maritima" or widgeon grass grows in Anchialine pools.
 #3014  by opae ula related

AdeDunn wrote:A thought just occurred to me. Have any of you folks ever tried growing a red mangrove in your Opae tanks? It'd need to be either open topped or very tall and palludarium style, but they will grow in water from 100% fresh to full sea water usually. I have 3 growing in a 100% fresh water palludarium at the moment, you just rest them on either wood or a rock (reef keepers tend to use a polystyrene float for them, or plant them in a mud refugium), they're serious nitrate reducers to the point where I worry more about not having enough to feed my other plants. lol

Just a thought anyway, as I see a bit of discussion at the moment about "plants" that will thrive in brackish water and reduce nitrogenous wastes.
Last edited by opae ula related on 07 Apr 2017 02:42, edited 1 time in total.
 #3017  by AdeDunn

If Opae'ula are Supershrimp, then I'd say red mangroves are the Superplant. lol I got all of my info about them before buying from this site. You can safely ignore their waffle about their special mud, it's just a sales pitch. Mine I just rested on some wood, you can do the same on rocks though. They supposedly don't do quite as well on rocks as they don't soak up nutrients from the water column like wood does, but I shouldn't think slower growth would be an issue in an Opae tank. :wink:

The 3 I have I ordered pods with roots, they arrived looking like this, and I literally just placed them where I want them. They're self weighted and self righting, so no need for weights or the like. I'll post a pic of what they look like now once the tank lights come on.
The one con I can see is, they won't give your shrimp something to hide in. Oh, and you might feel a bit odd growing a plant that in Hawai'i they're trying to eradicate from the Opae's natural habitat.... :upsidedown:
Attachments:
IMG_20161113_224929.jpg
IMG_20161113_224929.jpg (358.45 KiB) Viewed 31147 times
 #3021  by odin

cool site, very informative.