Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Having issues with your tank or inhabitants? Need to know what equipment to use or have other questions? Post here!
 #3106  by odin

Maybe reduce feeding if your nitrates are creeping up, something is causing it so i would experiment a little and see if that fixes the issues.
 #3139  by Suisho

odin wrote:Maybe reduce feeding if your nitrates are creeping up, something is causing it so i would experiment a little and see if that fixes the issues.
Yes, i stop to feed them and i could see 3 -4 berries mummies.
I also did what you have practice to scoops the babies out to another tank.

I use fully the water as the 1st tank so the babies can survive well.

Every week i do a 10% water change to reduce No3.
 #3140  by Suisho

After the water change i can see the shrimps swimming around to look for mating.
:tongue:
Last edited by Suisho on 25 Apr 2017 09:07, edited 1 time in total.
 #3141  by odin

That is great news! after a while you wont have to do water changes constantly. You need to find the right spot where you don't feed so much it creates No3.
 #3143  by Suisho

But i still have problem on the 2nd tank. Why are they not breeding?
Recently i added biodigest, i could see more shrimp swimming out instead of hiding.
Maybe is a good sign.
 #3145  by odin

When Opae ula hide it can be for many reasons but the main one is the water quality is poor for them, adding the biodigest will remove alot of the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates so maybe thats why they are starting to come out? If that is the issue then the water quality will need to be stable and healthy for a good while before they start breeding.
 #3222  by Suisho

How many times do i need to add biodigest till the water is stable?
So far i only add twice. This week i added the 2nd times since 1 month ago.
Because i have problem getting biodigest, shipment lost :upset:
 #3226  by odin

I only use mine when setting up a tank to help it cycle and remove poor water attributes at the start, OR in emergency situations when i cannot do a large water change to rectify the problem I'm having. I wouldn't use it constantly in an Opae ula tank but if you have to use it constantly then you are masking an issue that you need to resolve to be honest. If you water is remaining bad without the biodigest then you need to look into if you are feeding too much, your tank is over stocked or something is decaying and giving off too much ammonia and thus producing excess nutrients.
Last edited by odin on 13 May 2017 13:56, edited 1 time in total.
 #3486  by Suisho

My 2nd tank started to breed.. :smile:
(20 shrimps and 2 berries)

Attachments:
UaK5O9A.jpg
UaK5O9A.jpg (170.88 KiB) Viewed 7784 times