Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Having issues with your tank or inhabitants? Need to know what equipment to use or have other questions? Post here!
 #5532  by Algae In Space

opae ula related wrote: 25 Oct 2018 21:00
Well the snails are supposed to be super clean and healthy. They come from a very devoted breeder and are kept in quarantine. I don't think it's that but who knows? It could also be the marimo balls While we're on it.

The stones... well I did clean them very well. They are natural and lava stones. Yeah I use a filter. It's not ideal right now as the mechanical filtration pump is inside the tank. I would love not to use a filter and just let it be. But then the algae will come the water will get messy and so on. I mean I could give it a try and just leave it and see what happens. But then all hell could breaks loose. I mean Odin uses a filter right? And I spoke to Dennis Nakashima from Hawaii he breeds over 500 of them for fun just in a tank with lava stones and an under gravel filter. So he too has a filter. I would like to know what options I have if I can't get rid of the filter to have a silent filter that does not disturb the Opaes. It's too strange. I don't understand how people have good tanks with many Opaes with no filter.

Another thing Dennis said is to just use sunlight. He keeps them outside next to his house and they are fine. Sadly that's not possible in my case. It would make sense. They have only sunlight in nature. Partially shady and so on.
fyi, I don't use a filter in my tanks as long as you have surface area in your gravel/substrate for beneficial bacteria. They are the key to clean/clear water in Opae ula tanks imo. As you know Opae ula don't produce enough waste for a filter. I know of Dennis Nakashima's tanks in youtube and it might make sense for a undergravel filter with the number of Opae he has.

hopefully the water changes does the trick and it was some pollutant that got into the water. if not, if i was in your shoes, i would start fresh or take everything out and slowly move them back making sure it is not the cause. good excuse for another tank. =)

all imo.

btw, what temps you keep the water? also as you know, less light will equal less algae.

Ok, thanks. Very interesting. I guess I should switch to a non filtration situation then. Hmmm. :what: I mean I do have the surface area for beneficial bacteria as I am using coral gravel right? Has anyone used JBL Volcano Mineral as substrate: https://www.jbl.de/en/products/detail/6 ... no-mineral? Should I switch to another substrate maybe?

If I change the substrate in my existing tank I should wait it out and let it settle down right? Or is it ok with Opaes if I don't?
 #5534  by opae ula related

Ok, thanks. Very interesting. I guess I should switch to a non filtration situation then. Hmmm. :what: I mean I do have the surface area for beneficial bacteria as I am using coral gravel right? Has anyone used JBL Volcano Mineral as substrate: https://www.jbl.de/en/products/detail/6 ... no-mineral? Should I switch to another substrate maybe?

If I change the substrate in my existing tank I should wait it out and let it settle down right? Or is it ok with Opaes if I don't?
what you have looks fine so no need to change. need time for them to multiple or you can purchase and add to your tank.
 #5536  by Vorteil

Hawaii to me has some of the best tap water around. You can easliy use that water. For me here in California I cannot use water from the tap. Too many minterals and additives. The crazt thing is I did not pay attention to the basics. I had sponge filters in my tank and also fed mine. I no longer do that at all. As much as I enjoyed feeding the opae it was not necessary at all. Since I did feed it did contribute to the nice green algae to grow. That I liked. I had to get over the fact that even though I had a high number of opae in the tank that there was more than enough food in there. Now all i'm trying to do is sit back and enjoy them.
 #5540  by Algae In Space

Super guys!

Now I just need to decide what I will do. Opae ula related said I should keep all my stuff in there. Vorteil on the other hand suggested that lava only is the way to go. Dennis from Hawaii has dead corals only in his tank. Wow - now I am confused all over again :what: But that's ok. Thank you all!

I will do the following: I will wait until my test arrives. Do the test. If I need to change anything according to the results I will. Then I will see if the water changes noticeably in a bad way with out using a filter. If it it does I will... hm... add more shrimp or start over again... which would be a real pain in the a** I might say. I had so much work with this one.
 #5555  by Vorteil

Let me clarify. What you have is fine. For me I suggested lava rock but that my own preference. I want to keep it simple. I made it harder then it had to be at the begining. Over time I've just gone a more simplistic way of keeping my opae.
 #5556  by odin

Just to confuse you even more i use lava rocks and dead coral/ocean rock. :lol: :lol: :lol:
 #5560  by Algae In Space

Vorteil wrote: 26 Oct 2018 19:14 Let me clarify. What you have is fine. For me I suggested lava rock but that my own preference. I want to keep it simple. I made it harder then it had to be at the begining. Over time I've just gone a more simplistic way of keeping my opae.

Understood. Now I have to figure out what that white stuff on my ocean stone is...