Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Having issues with your tank or inhabitants? Need to know what equipment to use or have other questions? Post here!
 #6244  by Algae In Space

Vorteil wrote: 21 Dec 2018 07:47 Let me throw this out there. Is it really necessary to cycle a tank? If you have no filtration and considering how hardy the opae are? The last 3 tanks I set up I never cycled. I never felt I needed to but that's my preference.

Same here : )
 #6245  by Algae In Space

odin wrote: 21 Dec 2018 08:50
Vorteil wrote:Let me throw this out there. Is it really necessary to cycle a tank? If you have no filtration and considering how hardy the opae are? The last 3 tanks I set up I never cycled. I never felt I needed to but that's my preference.

Nope not at all but I offer advise on all ways to setup a tank, some folk want to have a fully cycled tank before introducing shrimp.. some want to add shrimp strait away and check for water quality and correct as they go along and some like to wait for algae to appear as an indicator it’s ok to then add shrimp as by then what little waste is produced doesn’t foul the water and cycles the tank slowly as they go along.

Tank size and stock amount is a huge factor when setting up your tank too.

There is no right or wrong way so long as you have healthy water so the shrimp don’t suffer. It’s all to easy to just say wait a week or two then add shrimp so it appeals to keepers to buy my shrimp and no care is needed and all is easy and takes care of its self like some sellers but I prefer to be honest :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

that's why I like this forum :sidesmile:
 #6251  by Vorteil

Another way to cycle a tank is to get the real sea water from your local fish store. Then mix it with your RO or distilled water. I think you'll get a fast start on the algae with what comes in from the ocean.
 #6266  by odin

Vorteil wrote:Another way to cycle a tank is to get the real sea water from your local fish store. Then mix it with your RO or distilled water. I think you'll get a fast start on the algae with what comes in from the ocean.
Id love to have some of this written up and proven for my guides on our website, if you can do this id be very interested.
 #6278  by Vorteil

I just purchased a used 40 gallon and a used 20 gallon long. The 40 is a lot bigger than I expected. I mentioned before that I was going to condense some of my tanks. I will used the 20 gallon for some of the Opae Ula. Hopefully start the tank in the next week or so. I will buy both the sea water and RO water from my LFS.
 #6287  by opae ula related

Vorteil wrote:I just purchased a used 40 gallon and a used 20 gallon long. The 40 is a lot bigger than I expected. I mentioned before that I was going to condense some of my tanks. I will used the 20 gallon for some of the Opae Ula. Hopefully start the tank in the next week or so. I will buy both the sea water and RO water from my LFS.
Damn, 40 gallons!! Huge