Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Having issues with your tank or inhabitants? Need to know what equipment to use or have other questions? Post here!
 #8862  by Jeroen

Extremely slow....I think some strings start to grow on the lava rocks. I still have the feeling that the tank is more or less cycled as there seem to be some bio film on the stones.....
I think i’ll wait two more weeks and ask the guy where i’ll buy my shrimps, to provide me with enough water to fill my tank not be sure there are enough bacteria in the water, as a water change will be necessary anyhow before introducing them.
 #8868  by odin

You should have your own bacteria now, majority of the stuff lives in the substrate and rocks so getting the tank water from the seller is just good to kick start your own tank from scratch.
 #8898  by Jeroen

Today i’ve finally collect my Opae Ula for my jar!! Ten pieces to start with!! Hopefully they do well!
Tomorrow I will try to make some photos, although they are extreme white do to the transport.

I also received some Monosolenium tenerum which should grow (also present in the aquarium of the seller). Anybody experience with this type of moss in brackish water?

I’m so happy with my own colony!!
 #8899  by opae ula related

Jeroen wrote:Today i’ve finally collect my Opae Ula for my jar!! Ten pieces to start with!! Hopefully they do well!
Tomorrow I will try to make some photos, although they are extreme white do to the transport.

I also received some Monosolenium tenerum which should grow (also present in the aquarium of the seller). Anybody experience with this type of moss in brackish water?

I’m so happy with my own colony!!
Need pictures!! Especially of the moss. : )
 #8900  by Jeroen

Here are some pictures of the opae ula! Most of them are back to color and it looks if one of them is yellow (see pictures).
They seem to be happy as they’re already swimming around in there tank.
I’m so happy with them!!
I’ve also included some pictures of the moss
Attachments:
DSC_0327.JPG
DSC_0327.JPG (3.32 MiB) Viewed 8683 times
DSC_0326.JPG
DSC_0326.JPG (3.66 MiB) Viewed 8683 times
DSC_0325.JPG
DSC_0325.JPG (2.73 MiB) Viewed 8683 times
7938A2E0-DB01-4795-892B-506168D3D56B.jpeg
7938A2E0-DB01-4795-892B-506168D3D56B.jpeg (889.15 KiB) Viewed 8684 times
306E2C99-83FD-4CD2-8F3C-6F096EEFF3DC.jpeg
306E2C99-83FD-4CD2-8F3C-6F096EEFF3DC.jpeg (736.35 KiB) Viewed 8684 times
 #8909  by Jeroen

Well that’s the idea as I like a little bit more green in the tank, and this was also present in the tank of the supplier.
I think it’s called pellia moss.
Of course i’m not going to dump it in, but I plan to attach it to Black Sea Fan or a rock or so.
I was wondering if anybody has experience with this moss type
 #8910  by odin

Oh wow they are great! The large one in photo 3 looks like it has a saddle. Thanks for a share and let us know how the plant fairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #8914  by Jeroen

Thanks for the compliments! I’m really happy with them although I think I will switch to a square tank due to the weird effect of the bend glass with the “salt” water... for now I’m really happy with them and I think the shrimps are also very happy!!

This question sound stupid maybe, but what does this “saddle” mean? Is this a good thing?

I will do a test on the plants first. See attached photo which is a small piece of art itself. The plants you have/sell is the “real opae ula micro algae” right?
Attachments:
DSC_0330.JPG
DSC_0330.JPG (2.17 MiB) Viewed 8634 times