Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Having issues with your tank or inhabitants? Need to know what equipment to use or have other questions? Post here!
 #9186  by TheMuggle

Hey there! I just set up my 2.5 Gallon tank with lava rocks, barnacles, a dead sea fan, calcium carbonate rocks, and a 2 inch macroalgae ball. I noticed in one video I watched during my research that one individual used stability to help kickstart the bacterial community in the tank.

https://www.amazon.com/Seachem-Stabilit ... 971&sr=8-1

Is this necessary? I believe the macroalgae which I bought should help with this but I just wanted to see how you guys kickstart off a brand new tank. Thank you!
 #9187  by odin

Hey there! Lights on tank for 12 hours on then 12 off, keep the lid off the tank and and keep the water at around 22degC if you are using a heater.

It should start to get algae in weeks to a month hopefully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #9188  by TheMuggle

odin wrote:Hey there! Lights on tank for 12 hours on then 12 off, keep the lid off the tank and and keep the water at around 22degC if you are using a heater.

It should start to get algae in weeks to a month hopefully.

Hey there! I do not plan to use a light or heater, but I do have my tank close to a window that receives a good amount of indirect light. Do you think this will be sufficient? Thanks for the help :)!
Last edited by TheMuggle on 23 Jun 2020 20:06, edited 2 times in total.
 #9189  by odin

Absolutely, I wouldn’t bother with QuickStart or anything like that, just let the tank do it’s thing. Good luck!

#9205  by TheMuggle

Hey there! I just tested my water and it has been about a week since I have started to cycle my tank with macroalgae in it. Nitrates and nitrites level seem to be 0 which is good, however, the pH is registering roughly around a 7. I have calcium carbonate stones and a sea barnacle shell present in the tank, will the pH be expected to rise over time? Also, I have an increase in chlorine, what can I do about this?

EDIT: I also have a dead sea fan in the water if that matters. Doesn't seem to be affecting ammonia since I am not noticing a color change in my test strip
 #9207  by odin

What water source did you use to fill your tank up?
 #9210  by odin

Ok, thought you maybe used tap water as ours has chlorine in it, you need to figure out where that came from because there shouldn’t be any really.

#9211  by TheMuggle

Will the chlorine disappear on its own? Not sure where else it could have come from :( I mean I did wipe down the tank on the inside with a diluted rubbing alcohol mixture but I highly doubt that it would leave a detectable tract. Maybe my testing strip isn't so good D:
 #9212  by odin

I agree, I always find that liquid test kits are way more accurate. I’m not sure if it will go on it’s own but you can do water changes to reduce it.. did you try testing the water you brought?