Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Having issues with your tank or inhabitants? Need to know what equipment to use or have other questions? Post here!
 #2004  by Priscilla

Hi all,

Is it advisable to leave the blue light/night light on for the opae?
Or do they prefer total darkness at night?
Thought of leaving it on because it could probably help them see a little better at night. :huh: :omg:
 #2006  by caine

I think you won't go wrong with leaving it on if it isn't super intense. It's the "moonlight" concept. The flip side is that they don't have an issue with dark. They do swim into those volcanic crevasses and caves and what not in their natural habitat. It has to be plenty dark in there :)

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk
 #2007  by Priscilla

caine wrote:I think you won't go wrong with leaving it on if it isn't super intense. It's the "moonlight" concept. The flip side is that they don't have an issue with dark. They do swim into those volcanic crevasses and caves and what not in their natural habitat. It has to be plenty dark in there :)

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk
Cool! Thanks Caine! :happy:
 #2012  by odin

They dont 'need' it but it looks very pretty when its on :smile:
 #2037  by Priscilla

odin wrote:They dont 'need' it but it looks very pretty when its on :smile:
Yeah I agree!
But will the lights be a disturbance to them when they sleep?
 #2038  by Priscilla

Wander wrote:Like Caine said, they don't need it at all.
I don't know why people have nightlights to be honest...
Maybe to see them at night.
Was worried that having the light on for night viewing would disturb them. :sad:
 #2039  by caine

I think they'll be fine. Out in the open, the moon can be quite bright at night. If you want to be really fancy, you could match the night light period to the same as the moon's current phase. :grinning:
 #2040  by odin

I dont see any issues with having a night light on at all, if anything it may be less stressful for them to have a night light that flicks over to full lights in the day. In my tanks its pitch black at night and when the timer kicks in all the bright lights come on and i bet its not a nice experience for them all when it comes out of the blue like that! :smile:
 #2049  by Priscilla

odin wrote:I dont see any issues with having a night light on at all, if anything it may be less stressful for them to have a night light that flicks over to full lights in the day. In my tanks its pitch black at night and when the timer kicks in all the bright lights come on and i bet its not a nice experience for them all when it comes out of the blue like that! :smile:
I've tried leaving the blue light on for a few nights now and I noticed that they are a lot more active under night light than day light :huh:

Right now in day light they are just stoning and scratching away, if not, hiding. are these behaviors normal for them?
They have also not been eating food that I put in, the last time I fed them was about 2-3 weeks ago I think :sad:
 #2050  by odin

The opae ula shrimp loves being out and feeding in dark conditions so it's pretty normal for them to enjoy the evening light. If you feed them and they don't eat the food just remove it best you can and try again in 2 weeks. There is probably enough food in your tank for them to eat through the day so they are giving your food a miss. Just be sure not to leave the food in the tank or it could spoil the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro