Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #419  by Ann

Are snails the only way to clear dead spots in the substrate?
Ann
 #420  by odin

What do you mean by dead spots?
 #421  by Ann

It's where there is little movement in the sand that makes dead pockets which can harm the good bacteria. I think that it originates from oxygen depletion.
 #422  by odin

Good question! Ive not read much about that, i have heard that if you have a too deeper sand substrate it can trap and build up anaerobic gas in pockets which when released can hurt your fish and shrimp but you would need to have inches and inches of substrate for that. The only snails i have in my tanks just roam around above the sand/gravel so i cant speak from experience but its not something i would worry about.

I purchased a long glass rod from a website that sells brand new science equipment, its for mixing in flasks etc but i just use it to poke around substrate if i have to :smile:
 #423  by odin

Just wanted to add, if you are worried about pockets forming under your substrate MTS (Malaysian trumpet snails) are great for digging in and through sand. You will need to source some brackish ones that have already been acclimatised though.
 #425  by Ann

Oh, excellent! That's what I'll do. I will look into those Trumpet Snails, too.
Thank you,
Ann