Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #4392  by QDanT

Well thanks to all Odins guides and his sugestion for obtaining RO water I've been shopping today

25ltr Fluval tank £24 (discounted because no internal filter, planting tray or lights)
25ltr RO water £2:50
4kg Tropical marine fine gravel, porous and buffering £6:50
1.24 kg Tropic marine Sea salt £6
Marina 50w heater £15
Lava rock £1:50
I'll wash the tank out with RO water in the morning then the gravel and put it in and see if I've enough. Only got the one water container so I'll put it in the tank and go for another 25ltr then Marine salt and heater. I might try to drill some holes in the Lava rock to make hiding spots. With it not being BBQ season yet no one is stocking sacks of Lava rock yet so if a phone round is blank I might buy a couple more large lumps and get the hammer out'
Work in progress - Cheers All Danny
Attachments:
set up.JPG
set up.JPG (62.19 KiB) Viewed 10789 times
 #4393  by odin

Oh awesome you found RO! I’m glad you tracked some down.. shops love selling it as it’s cheap for them to produce and it’s money in their pocket!

If you struggle for lava rock I bought mine from here:

http://m.zooplus.co.uk/shop/fish/decora ... cks/317311

Keep us up to date with your tank build! We are looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #4404  by QDanT

Drilling the Lava rock went OK, drilled x2 16mm holes right through, meeting in the middle, with the largest Masonry bit my drill will take.
Attachments:
Lava rock drilled 2.jpg
Lava rock drilled 2.jpg (90.99 KiB) Viewed 10777 times
Lava rock drilled.jpg
Lava rock drilled.jpg (91.58 KiB) Viewed 10777 times
 #4417  by opae ula related

Nice looking lava rock. i guess designs are limitless...
 #4425  by QDanT

Went to LFS for another 25ltr RO water and at £1:25 per Kg bought some more Lava rock, not washed it yet just playing around with how to stack it.
I was going to use my angle grinder with a stone cut off wheel to trim some flat spots but this stack is very firm with lots of cave hiding places.
Attachments:
Lava rock more.jpg
Lava rock more.jpg (82.21 KiB) Viewed 10755 times
 #4426  by odin

At that price it would be rude not too! :lol:
 #4438  by QDanT

More drilling
Lava rock more drilled.JPG
Lava rock more drilled.JPG (98.28 KiB) Viewed 10742 times
The Lava Rock Hilton :wink:
 #4441  by QDanT

Water in the tank at last :smile: ended up using
Coarse grit.jpg
Coarse grit.jpg (47.5 KiB) Viewed 10721 times
for substrate couple of rinses and it was clear where-as the Marine gravel just stayed cloudy no matter how many washes :angry:
water in 1.jpg
water in 1.jpg (137.58 KiB) Viewed 10721 times
water in 2.jpg
water in 2.jpg (125 KiB) Viewed 10721 times
water in 3.jpg
water in 3.jpg (94.14 KiB) Viewed 10721 times
water in 4.jpg
water in 4.jpg (138.22 KiB) Viewed 10721 times
just letting it settle then I'll turn the heater and small sponge filter on I'll also peel the Fluval sticker off the tank and make a start on the lighting I've some GU10 LED daylight bulbs 6500K and a full spectrum plant growing one also a timer and an air pump. Getting there :happy:
 #4442  by odin

Looks like you are on top of everything! exciting times for sure. :happy:
 #4443  by opae ula related

I see microscopes.. Are you a scientist? Can you record videos on those microscopes?