Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Having issues with your tank or inhabitants? Need to know what equipment to use or have other questions? Post here!
 #5137  by odin

Water quality is the best way to get them to breed, you want stable healthy water. If you feed too much this will pollute your tank.
 #5138  by thecollector

odin wrote: 23 May 2018 20:56 Water quality is the best way to get them to breed, you want stable healthy water. If you feed too much this will pollute your tank.
I don't feed them every day, usually once a week, and I do regular water changes. Plus the tank is in front of my keyboard so I can quickly spot if anything is wrong.

When I stated I'm overfeeding, I mean by Opae standards.

As I'm typing this, I've spotted a second molted exoskeleton.

So definitely not normal... in a good way.
 #5139  by odin

They must be growing :sidesmile:
 #5140  by thecollector

One more molted exoskeleton... :what:

It's almost as If I did a water change earlier. For me it's normal to see a molt or two after a water change.

I'm planning on doing water changes on all the tanks, before the weekend as I’ve got to move the tanks while I do some DIY. So thought I give the clay a try. Wasn’t expecting much, but 3 molts...

OK... as I’m typing this another Opae is molting right in front of me. Never seen it happen just the end result after it happened.
 #5141  by odin

Keep us updated on how it all works out.
 #5144  by thecollector

So...

24 hours on: only 1 casualty. A new Opae in a comply different tank, looks to have had a bad molt - tearing itself in half.

The Opae is in what I’m calling tank 4, a completely new tank, only had those Opae for less than two weeks.

All the other tanks including the Baby Opae’s in baby holding tank are doing fine - they got some of the clay yesterday as well.

For tank 4, all the remaining 8 Opae are out and about, normal in colour.
 #5150  by odin

Something is causing them to moult all at once, can be a sudden change in water parameters, stress or tank water contamination usually so keep an eye on that.
 #5163  by thecollector

odin wrote: 24 May 2018 22:45 Something is causing them to moult all at once, can be a sudden change in water parameters, stress or tank water contamination usually so keep an eye on that.
It was the clay.

Added it to 4 different tanks.

The tank where I say all the molts, one after the other: all the Opae are fine.

Did a water change on Friday on all the tanks and everything is fine.

This morning all the Opae were out, all on the highest points in each of the tanks. Must have something to do with all the thunder and lightning that took place last night here in the UK.
 #5164  by odin

We got the Thunder and Lightning last night, it was crazy.