Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #5405  by tzg

My new tank setup, with foam insulators at the 3 sides of the tank with a fan, current temp is stable at 27c. Hope to see some babies soon! :grin2:
Attachments:
WhatsApp Image 2018-09-12 at 16.21.34.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-09-12 at 16.21.34.jpeg (116.29 KiB) Viewed 9548 times
 #5406  by odin

If I can make a few points for your tank to breed better, get rid of the filter and air and make a rock pile of some sorts on one side for them to hide in as this will encourage them to breed more. Your tank does look loverly though :) .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #5409  by tzg

ok odin, i will look for some rocks with holes for them to have their private moment! Thank u :smile:
 #5411  by odin

Be sure they are tank safe rocks though!
 #5412  by tzg

Cycling should be done soon, the sands are turning green as a result of algae growing on the sand and the shrimps now are starting to hide in the holes, not just the 6 big holes, they even swim into the small holes in between the big holes, is this structure a good place to encourage breeding?
Attachments:
WhatsApp Image 2018-09-16 at 13.36.09.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-09-16 at 13.36.09.jpeg (94.06 KiB) Viewed 9527 times
WhatsApp Image 2018-09-16 at 13.37.19.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-09-16 at 13.37.19.jpeg (120.2 KiB) Viewed 9527 times
 #5413  by tzg

I am always skeptical about how much temp a fan can bring down as online reviews report at most 1-3degC for a computer size fan. However im gonna show you that just a mini usb fan connected to my powerbank can bring the water temp down by 5degC, maybe it is also due to the insulation foam i did on the 3 sides on my tank.
Attachments:
WhatsApp Image 2018-09-17 at 13.00.34.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-09-17 at 13.00.34.jpeg (110.95 KiB) Viewed 9523 times
 #5414  by Vorteil

Did you remove the sponge filter? There's no need for it. Stick to the basics of what is required. If you don't feed why do you need a filter? The waste that the opae produce is food for the algae. If you do feed IMO pure spirulina is best. It will not cloud up the water. Your water will stay clear. Keep in mind I have simple jars that are breeding and my tanks as well. Looks like you have too much water movement.
 #5415  by tzg

Vorteil wrote: 17 Sep 2018 07:36 Did you remove the sponge filter? There's no need for it. Stick to the basics of what is required. If you don't feed why do you need a filter? The waste that the opae produce is food for the algae. If you do feed IMO pure spirulina is best. It will not cloud up the water. Your water will stay clear. Keep in mind I have simple jars that are breeding and my tanks as well. Looks like you have too much water movement.
Yes Vorteil, i feed them with spirulina flakes twice a week. I will remove the filter when i see more algae growing in the tank, as this is a new tank, i just see sign of algae only.

After hearing odin advice, i have gotten myself another rock to let them swim around and to give them more private space. This is a type of limestone rock and should be good for the opaes.
Attachments:
stone.jpg
stone.jpg (264.36 KiB) Viewed 9516 times
 #5416  by odin

That rock looks amazing! Wish I could get some that style over here. :grin3:
 #5417  by tzg

i cant wait for it to arrive and place it in my tank! :smile: :smile: :smile:

is there any way to make the shrimps hide at the front of the rock instead of behind the rock? im thinking of putting my lights towards the back of the tank and place the rockin front of the tank so it will trick the shrimps to hide 'behind'. if u get what i mean. :lol: