Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Having issues with your tank or inhabitants? Need to know what equipment to use or have other questions? Post here!
 #5521  by tzg

sorry to see that, hope the others are fine. one thing i learn is even a shrimp is red doesnt mean it is happy or healthy.
 #5522  by Algae In Space

Yeah. That's what I learned yesterday and today. Still a little red. But also a little dead.

Did a water change today. I hope the others will turn out ok. No idea what the cause was. Except maybe a rice grain I put in there to see if they would eat it. Maybe that's what kill her.
Attachments:
IMG_1801.jpg
IMG_1801.jpg (920.06 KiB) Viewed 7550 times
 #5524  by Algae In Space

opae ula related wrote: 25 Oct 2018 00:38 two died :upset:
sorry to hear.
Like Odin said, change the water.
You have a timeline of what you added to the tank? you have a cover?

Yeah. I did just now. No timeline. I didn't really add anything I must say. No that's not true. I added a java fern but it began to die so I took it out. Then I wanted to try if the Opaes eat rice or seaweed. Both were organic. That's it. Maybe one was poisonous to her.

I have a cover but there are big enough holes for the air.
Last edited by Algae In Space on 25 Oct 2018 22:25, edited 1 time in total.
 #5526  by opae ula related

Algae In Space wrote: 25 Oct 2018 13:23
sorry to hear.

Yeah. I did just now. No timeline. I didn't really ad anything I must say. No that's not true. I added a java fern but it began to die so I took it out. Then I wanted to try if the Opaes eat rice or seaweed. Both were organic. That's it. Maybe one was poisonous to her.

It could be a lot of things. You happen to have an extra tank/container to start fresh than clean your existing tank? What kind of rocks is that again in your tank? natural? you washed it really good? could of been something that came with your snails? You still use a filter? Like Odin suggested, maybe something got in the water but I would think it would affect all of them (i think). I would think organic rice be ok, but not sure of the seaweed.
 #5528  by Algae In Space

opae ula related wrote: 25 Oct 2018 16:51
Algae In Space wrote: 25 Oct 2018 13:23
sorry to hear.

Yeah. I did just now. No timeline. I didn't really ad anything I must say. No that's not true. I added a java fern but it began to die so I took it out. Then I wanted to try if the Opaes eat rice or seaweed. Both were organic. That's it. Maybe one was poisonous to her.

It could be a lot of things. You happen to have an extra tank/container to start fresh than clean your existing tank? What kind of rocks is that again in your tank? natural? you washed it really good? could of been something that came with your snails? You still use a filter? Like Odin suggested, maybe something got in the water but I would think it would affect all of them (i think). I would think organic rice be ok, but not sure of the seaweed.

Well the snails are supposed to be super clean and healthy. They come from a very devoted breeder and are kept in quarantine. I don't think it's that but who knows? It could also be the marimo balls while we're on it.

The stones... well I did clean them very well. They are natural and lava stones. Yeah I use a filter. It's not ideal right now as the mechanical filtration pump is inside the tank. I would love not to use a filter and just let it be. But then the algae will come the water will get messy and so on. I mean I could give it a try and just leave it and see what happens. But then all hell could breaks loose. I mean Odin uses a filter right? And I spoke to Dennis Nakashima from Hawaii he breeds over 500 of them for fun just in a tank with lava stones and an under gravel filter. So he too has a filter. I would like to know what options I have if I can't get rid of the filter to have a silent filter that does not disturb the Opaes. It's too strange. I don't understand how people have good tanks with many Opaes with no filter.

Another thing Dennis said is to just use sunlight. He keeps them outside next to his house and they are fine. Sadly that's not possible in my case. It would make sense. They have only sunlight in nature. Partially shady and so on.
Last edited by Algae In Space on 25 Oct 2018 22:27, edited 1 time in total.
 #5529  by opae ula related

Well the snails are supposed to be super clean and healthy. They come from a very devoted breeder and are kept in quarantine. I don't think it's that but who knows? It could also be the marimo balls While we're on it.

The stones... well I did clean them very well. They are natural and lava stones. Yeah I use a filter. It's not ideal right now as the mechanical filtration pump is inside the tank. I would love not to use a filter and just let it be. But then the algae will come the water will get messy and so on. I mean I could give it a try and just leave it and see what happens. But then all hell could breaks loose. I mean Odin uses a filter right? And I spoke to Dennis Nakashima from Hawaii he breeds over 500 of them for fun just in a tank with lava stones and an under gravel filter. So he too has a filter. I would like to know what options I have if I can't get rid of the filter to have a silent filter that does not disturb the Opaes. It's too strange. I don't understand how people have good tanks with many Opaes with no filter.

Another thing Dennis said is to just use sunlight. He keeps them outside next to his house and they are fine. Sadly that's not possible in my case. It would make sense. They have only sunlight in nature. Partially shady and so on.
fyi, I don't use a filter in my tanks as long as you have surface area in your gravel/substrate for beneficial bacteria. They are the key to clean/clear water in Opae ula tanks imo. As you know Opae ula don't produce enough waste for a filter. I know of Dennis Nakashima's tanks in youtube and it might make sense for a undergravel filter with the number of Opae he has.

hopefully the water changes does the trick and it was some pollutant that got into the water. if not, if i was in your shoes, i would start fresh or take everything out and slowly move them back making sure it is not the cause. good excuse for another tank. =)

all imo.

btw, what temps you keep the water? also as you know, less light will equal less algae.
 #5530  by odin

I have had well over 500 in a tank with no filter, I don’t use any filters in my tanks. Control the light source and you will control the algae.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #5531  by Algae In Space

odin wrote: 25 Oct 2018 21:48 I have had well over 500 in a tank with no filter, I don’t use any filters in my tanks. Control the light source and you will control the algae.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Oh that's very interesting. I thought you were using a filter... ok then. I will wait and see what the test will say when I use it. And then I will see what to do. Why do you people have no problems but I'll do. :dead:

So I should lower my light right? Odin how much watt of light do you use on how many liters/gallons? And how much kelvin are you using? A lot of blue light. Red light? What would you say would be correct for my 20 l tank?

Fun fact: Dennis had started his tank with seawater from the sea plus tap water and he tops off evaporated water with tap water too!!!
Last edited by Algae In Space on 25 Oct 2018 22:45, edited 1 time in total.