Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #4829  by opae ula related

Beano wrote:Sorry for delayed input as I’ve been busy with work. The lohena will go through berried stage for 3-4 weeks. You need to remove the berried lohena into a separate breeding box and tank. I use a guppy breeding box with narrow slats for the larvae to swim out to escape the mother lohena. You need to do this because lohena eat their young. I saw it happen with my own eyes. :what: You then need to transfer the larvae to a higher salinity tank. Otherwise they will die within 24-36 hours. So far, transferring them to a 1.018-1.020sg tank keeps them alive for a week. I have not successfully kept them alive any longer than that. I tried all kinds of feed but nothing works so far.
ImageImageSo you saw the mother eat the babies?
 #4830  by Beano

Yes. There is one particular lohena that I nickname the “mean momma” that uses her legs to push the larvae that is about to be released towards her claws. Not a single larvae has survived her multiple pregnancy.
 #5621  by odin

Algae In Space wrote:The Alphas are cool! I wish I had some :grin3:

Odin, you fed your Alphas some flakes in a video of yours. What is that?
I just feed them fish flakes once a week, they must be eating enough as they produce eggs constantly.
 #5626  by odin

Here is when i set up their tank.. it has changed a lot since so i need to update the topic: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79

I have around 20 i think? I have had them for around 2.5 year i believe, They get around 4 times as big as Opae ula shrimp and their tank is the same as my Opae ula tanks, same salinity and temp etc.. no filters and i'm not sure how long they live for so i will have to document this as i go along :smile: :smile:
 #5627  by Algae In Space

odin wrote: 06 Nov 2018 21:59 Here is when i set up their tank.. it has changed a lot since so i need to update the topic: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79

I have around 20 i think? I have had them for around 2.5 year i believe, They get around 4 times as big as Opae ula shrimp and their tank is the same as my Opae ula tanks, same salinity and temp etc.. no filters and i'm not sure how long they live for so i will have to document this as i go along :smile: :smile:

4 times as big :what: :cool: :omg: :upsidedown:

Ok. I thought you might use a filter because you feed em?!

They have such mega claws!! Do they really get bigger as in the image?

Last edited by Algae In Space on 06 Nov 2018 22:17, edited 2 times in total.
 #5628  by odin

They reproduce but no one seems to be able to get the young past the larvae stage in captivity unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #5629  by odin

Yes they get that big compared to the Opae ula in the image.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro