Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #5608  by odin

wahoo! That's great news.
 #5610  by QDanT

Cheers Odin, just managed a slightly better photo
Attachments:
G.jpg
G.jpg (88.38 KiB) Viewed 6493 times
 #5611  by odin

Breeding like rabbits! You must be doing something right mate :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #5652  by QDanT

another batch of 'floaters' today still Berried femails about there's another in the rock tube as well :what:
Attachments:
03.jpg
03.jpg (134.02 KiB) Viewed 6476 times
02.jpg
02.jpg (91.29 KiB) Viewed 6476 times
01.jpg
01.jpg (50.61 KiB) Viewed 6476 times
 #5661  by QDanT

Algae In Space wrote:Nice :happy: Wha't is your salinity?
For months, at first,I played Doc.Beaker and kept it at 1.012, now I just top up with RO water when it goes down to the marked line and haven't checked for months :oh:
But just for you I've just checked and it's 1.010 @ 72* F
 #5664  by Vorteil

I think the 72 degree temps have a lot to do with it to. Great temp for the babies. When summer rolls around my tanks start getting in the mid to high 88 or so. I've had very few berried females. What i've noticed is even in the mid 84 or so it's still too warm for the larvae. Mine won't survive. They hatch and then die in a day or so. Anything I have in the 70's is still breeding especially the jars I have in the house. It's been consistent now with at least 1 berried female and at most 4 or so at one time. All the babies have survived to become young adults. Now that it's winter the temps are around 74. I had also read that researches had not seen the berried females out and about the anchialine ponds. They felt the water was too warm and that the berried females stayed underground where the water was cooler.
 #5665  by Vorteil

Attachments:
IMG_1536.JPG
IMG_1536.JPG (34.97 KiB) Viewed 6463 times
IMG_1541.JPG
IMG_1541.JPG (42.44 KiB) Viewed 6463 times
IMG_1557.JPG
IMG_1557.JPG (28.08 KiB) Viewed 6463 times
 #5667  by Algae In Space

QDanT wrote: 08 Nov 2018 22:53
Algae In Space wrote:Nice :happy: Wha't is your salinity?
For months, at first,I played Doc.Beaker and kept it at 1.012, now I just top up with RO water when it goes down to the marked line and haven't checked for months :oh:
But just for you I've just checked and it's 1.010 @ 72* F
All right! Good to know!
 #5668  by Algae In Space

Vorteil wrote: 09 Nov 2018 04:47 I think the 72 degree temps have a lot to do with it to. Great temp for the babies. When summer rolls around my tanks start getting in the mid to high 88 or so. I've had very few berried females. What i've noticed is even in the mid 84 or so it's still too warm for the larvae. Mine won't survive. They hatch and then die in a day or so. Anything I have in the 70's is still breeding especially the jars I have in the house. It's been consistent now with at least 1 berried female and at most 4 or so at one time. All the babies have survived to become young adults. Now that it's winter the temps are around 74. I had also read that researches had not seen the berried females out and about the anchialine ponds. They felt the water was too warm and that the berried females stayed underground where the water was cooler.

Interesting! I will keep that in mind. It makes sense.