Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #5674  by opae ula related

Beano wrote:Cool. Yeah since summer 2016. Thought you knew. I was able to record a live molting.

That’s cool. Any luck in raising up a young lohena?[/quote]

What temperatures you keep your lohena larva?
 #5675  by Beano

I live in Singapore so the temps here are always warm :grin: I don’t think that is cause of the early larvae death. My suspicion is the lack of microscopic food or salinity of the water
 #5676  by Algae In Space

Beano wrote: 09 Nov 2018 20:19 I live in Singapore so the temps here are always warm :grin: I don’t think that is cause of the early larvae death. My suspicion is the lack of microscopic food or salinity of the water

That's what I thought too. But who knows? Dennis from Hawaii who keeps many hundreds of Opaes in a tank in his garden said that when he put his hands inside the Anchialine Pool he took Opaes from it felt warm like bath water. But it could be that the Opae larvae go down into cracks in the lava stone where the salinity is higher and the temps may be lower...

Singapore - nice to have such a multicultural forum here.
 #5678  by opae ula related

Beano wrote:I live in Singapore so the temps here are always warm :grin: I don’t think that is cause of the early larvae death. My suspicion is the lack of microscopic food or salinity of the water

Went to a kid’s fieldtrip and they collected plankton and I snapped a pic of what they have in this part of the ocean. Do you happen to live near the ocean?
 #5746  by Beano

Singapore is small enough that it’s just minutes to the sea from anywhere on the island :tongue: I tried using sea water a friend collected for me in the breeding tank for the lohena larvae. They still died within days. No different than if I made the water with marine salt myself. I notice the larvae are attracted to light and swim towards it. So my view is that they don’t swim to the darker parts of the achaline ponds but likely towards out to sea or if not, brighter areas of the pond. The adult lohena tend to stay at the bottom or hide in crevices . In comparison My opae ula swim all over the tank including the top.
 #5747  by Algae In Space

Beano wrote: 13 Nov 2018 16:06 Singapore is small enough that it’s just minutes to the sea from anywhere on the island :tongue: I tried using sea water a friend collected for me in the breeding tank for the lohena larvae. They still died within days. No different than if I made the water with marine salt myself. I notice the larvae are attracted to light and swim towards it. So my view is that they don’t swim to the darker parts of the achaline ponds but likely towards out to sea or if not, brighter areas of the pond. The adult lohena tend to stay at the bottom or hide in crevices . In comparison My opae ula swim all over the tank including the top.

Very interesting and confusing... :what:
 #5751  by opae ula related

Beano wrote:Singapore is small enough that it’s just minutes to the sea from anywhere on the island :tongue: I tried using sea water a friend collected for me in the breeding tank for the lohena larvae. They still died within days. No different than if I made the water with marine salt myself. I notice the larvae are attracted to light and swim towards it. So my view is that they don’t swim to the darker parts of the achaline ponds but likely towards out to sea or if not, brighter areas of the pond. The adult lohena tend to stay at the bottom or hide in crevices . In comparison My opae ula swim all over the tank including the top.
Got it. Do you remember how fresh the sea water was? Was it taken within a few hours or it was days old?
 #5757  by Arnold

I aslo have used seawater, from the Atlantic Ocean, for my shrimps mixed with tapwater around 1/1.5 proportion I didnt make any testing or measuring the salinity, the shrimp are doing fantastic and the water its pristine clear