Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #5858  by Algae In Space

So I bought a new tank:

Filled it with coral gravel but I'm bored by it cause I want a contrast to my first tank. Now I'm thinking either sand or volcanic gravel... Finer sand would be a nice contrast to rough lava rock.

What do you guys think? Sand and Opaes - does it go together?

And what should I put in to buffer the water a little for the snails and the Opaes instead of coral? Are these mineral cubes any good?
 #5860  by QDanT

OK this is 'tongue in cheek' but having nothing for scale, the first thing I thought of was Malt Whiskey :what:
but come on the Opae have to live in this for 25 years and your Bored.
I try and make my tank as entertaining, think Playground, as possible.
Sand and a few Mieral Cubes doesn't sound very entertaining for them. I added an 'ocean rock' with tunnels at the top for somewhere for them to rest and explore
Attachments:
1.jpg
1.jpg (171.4 KiB) Viewed 10404 times
tank.jpg
tank.jpg (207 KiB) Viewed 10404 times
30-4-18.jpg
30-4-18.jpg (89.63 KiB) Viewed 10404 times
 #5861  by Algae In Space

QDanT wrote: 20 Nov 2018 10:46 OK this is 'tongue in cheek' but having nothing for scale, the first thing I thought of was Malt Whiskey :what:
but come on the Opae have to live in this for 25 years and your Bored.
I try and make my tank as entertaining, think Playground, as possible.
Sand and a few Mieral Cubes doesn't sound very entertaining for them.
30-4-18.jpg
I added an 'ocean rock' with tunnels at the top for somewhere for them to rest and explore
tank.jpg
1.jpg

That's true and I got the bottle to match the glass!

You're not up to speed :laugh: I already talked about my new tank project on other topics. This is just a continuation.

Please, no lectures... this is the "friendly community forum" after all. I am not bored of my Opaes, I'm bored of the coral gravel after I tried it in my new tank and want to try something new now because I already got it in my first tank. Never did I say that I only want to use just sand and mineral cubes...? :laugh:

In fact there is not even a lot of context needed to just read my post correctly :sidesmile: The questions were very specific. Why don't you ask me when you're uncertain about it or inform yourself beforehand instead of being judgmental?
 #5862  by QDanT

Algae In Space wrote: 20 Nov 2018 13:34
QDanT wrote: 20 Nov 2018 10:46 OK this is 'tongue in cheek' but having nothing for scale, the first thing I thought of was Malt Whiskey :what:
That's true and I got the bottle to match the glass!

I liked your 'perfect' photo reply but not your lecture to me

[/quote]
Please, no lectures... this is the "friendly community forum" after all. I am not bored of my Opaes, I'm bored of the coral gravel after I tried it in my new tank and want to try something new now because I already got it in my first tank. Never did I say that I only want to use just sand and mineral cubes...? :laugh:
In fact there is not even a lot of context needed to just read my post correctly :sidesmile: The questions were very specific. Why don't you ask me when you're uncertain about it or inform yourself beforehand instead of being judgmental?
[/quote]

I take it you don't under stand 'tongue in cheek' :tongue: and to be honest I don't give a **it !
 #5866  by Algae In Space

Downvoting me is a nice childish touch Mr.

Ok. Let's go evidence based: Where in my original post do I state that I got bored of my Opaes? Please find and quote. Do you have this much integrity?

PS: Your "tongue in cheek" was related to the whisky glass like tank.
 #5876  by odin

Now..Now lol, how much water does this new tank hold?
 #5884  by Algae In Space

odin wrote: 22 Nov 2018 17:59 Now..Now lol, how much water does this new tank hold?

About 21 l, it's 30 cm x 30 cm

Tank already filled with substrate (mix of sand and a bit of coral gravel) and lava. I like it.

Mr. QDanT: Are we enemies now? :blush: Nuclear arsenal and all? Let's settle the dispute. You lectured me - I lectured you - we're even. I was just amazed by how much you misinterpreted my post and started a rant about how bored I should be according to you. Aloha.

#5897  by Algae In Space

Paulao wrote: 25 Nov 2018 00:57 @Algae In Space Any pictures? Curious how it would look like for a cylinder tank :smile:

I'm super happy with the new tank so far :blush:

Put in the sand mixed with coral gravel, the lava (drilled some holes into the larger boulders) and one of the algae balls. There are 6 little Opaes and three snails in there so far. The rest will follow in a while. I will also put a Microsorum pteropus "Philippine" in there. It's a java farn type that naturally grows in brackish waters. And so far it seems to do fine. :grin3:

I'm surprised by how much larger the rocks look like due to the water/tank distortion. But I love it. :upsidedown: It looks even cooler when you stand in front of it compared to the photo.
Attachments:
IMG_1906.JPG
IMG_1906.JPG (355.39 KiB) Viewed 10281 times
Last edited by Algae In Space on 29 Nov 2018 11:57, edited 1 time in total.
 #5900  by odin

Oh that’s cool! Keep us up to date on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro