Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #5614  by odin

Not selectively but I do have a lot of young with bands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #5718  by Algae In Space

Halocaridina wrote: 11 Nov 2018 20:55 It would be interesting to try to breed an opae ula strain similar to the 'red rili shrimp'.

As far as I know they already exist! It's a sub species found in the Kalaeloa region. Not everything has to be bred! Let them be wild! :sidesmile:
 #5782  by Halocaridina

The red algae seems to have really taken over right by the heater. I removed a lot of it and transplanted some healthy chaeto from the other side of the tank into that area.
Did not do anything regarding the gunk but I'll try to get round to it around December. From what I could make it, it is mostly pieces of dead chaeto coated with dead green hair algae and a ton of shrimp and snail poop stuck in the threads. This makes it hard to remove with tweezers, so another gravel vac is probably due at some point.

No shrimp out because I had just stuck the tweezers and scissors in plus topped up some water and they all went to hide in the back. Usually I can see about 5 or 6 at any one time.

I was also thinking of setting up my spare tank at some point, probably in the summer. It is a 10L Marina 360, so only really suitable for small shrimp. I was thinking of trying another shrimp species, maybe some purple zebras or a cherry shrimp variant. Obviously, these are a lot higher maintenance than Hawaiian red shrimp, but in a few months time I will have more time to regularly check up on and maintain a tank. After three years of opae ula, it will be good to try something new. Regardless, there is a lot of time to think about what exactly I'll go for. Might even get a third tank!
Algae In Space wrote:
Halocaridina wrote: 11 Nov 2018 20:55 It would be interesting to try to breed an opae ula strain similar to the 'red rili shrimp'.

As far as I know they already exist! It's a sub species found in the Kalaeloa region. Not everything has to be bred! Let them be wild! :sidesmile:
That's very interesting. Got any pictures? I looked around but couldn't find anything.
 #5784  by Algae In Space

Sorry, but no pictures. It's in the book "Hawaiian Anchialine Pools", hopefully I'll get my copy soon. :blink: Dennis from Hawaii sent me a picture. They have the transparent part in the middle.

Tank is looking cool! Wonder how my new one will look like :sidesmile:

If you please check out my little OPAE ULA QUESTIONNAIRE: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... Q/viewform
 #6319  by Halocaridina

I finally got back to my tank, nothing has changed since the last post really other than there being a few more baby shrimp. I want to somehow get the brown gunk out but don't want to accidentally suck them up in the gravel vacuum. Picking the gunk up with tweezers doesn't work because the gunk disintegrates by the time I pull the clumps up to the surface. I might try to see if the net works.

It is interesting this thread now has 47530 views. I guess people must come across it when searching about opae ula. Anyway, I'm glad there are some people reading it!
 #6320  by Melijayne

Halocaridina wrote: 24 Dec 2018 17:17 I finally got back to my tank, nothing has changed since the last post really other than there being a few more baby shrimp. I want to somehow get the brown gunk out but don't want to accidentally suck them up in the gravel vacuum. Picking the gunk up with tweezers doesn't work because the gunk disintegrates by the time I pull the clumps up to the surface. I might try to see if the net works.

It is interesting this thread now has 47530 views. I guess people must come across it when searching about opae ula. Anyway, I'm glad there are some people reading it!
I bought a meat baster to pick up bits of debris when I transferred my shrimps between tanks - it worked a treat!
 #6321  by Halocaridina

Melijayne wrote: 24 Dec 2018 19:45
Halocaridina wrote: 24 Dec 2018 17:17 I finally got back to my tank, nothing has changed since the last post really other than there being a few more baby shrimp. I want to somehow get the brown gunk out but don't want to accidentally suck them up in the gravel vacuum. Picking the gunk up with tweezers doesn't work because the gunk disintegrates by the time I pull the clumps up to the surface. I might try to see if the net works.

I bought a meat baster to pick up bits of debris when I transferred my shrimps between tanks - it worked a treat!
Thanks for the recommendation - I'll try that out and see how it goes.
 #6999  by Halocaridina

Noticed one of the nerites was at the back upside down and hadn't moved in days. Picked it up and it didn't smell so assumed it was still alive. Put it back and after a week it had still not moved, so took it out again. Then I pushed the 'door' of the shell a little and tried to look behind it - there was no snail there. I am guessing the snail must have died at some point in the last few weeks and the shrimp, who mostly gather at the back, ate it all. Probably explains the level of the recent algal bloom too.

I have read online that a common aquarium lifespan for these zebra nerites is 4 years so was a little disappointed this one only lasted 2. Still not sure of the reason for death since the shrimp seem healthy and breeding, and the other snail seems to be doing fine.

Don't think I'll get a replacement since I was only intending to get 1 originally, but they had in a two for a price of one deal when I bought them.
 #7000  by opae ula related

Halocaridina wrote:Noticed one of the nerites was at the back upside down and hadn't moved in days. Picked it up and it didn't smell so assumed it was still alive. Put it back and after a week it had still not moved, so took it out again. Then I pushed the 'door' of the shell a little and tried to look behind it - there was no snail there. I am guessing the snail must have died at some point in the last few weeks and the shrimp, who mostly gather at the back, ate it all. Probably explains the level of the recent algal bloom too.

I have read online that a common aquarium lifespan for these zebra nerites is 4 years so was a little disappointed this one only lasted 2. Still not sure of the reason for death since the shrimp seem healthy and breeding, and the other snail seems to be doing fine.

Don't think I'll get a replacement since I was only intending to get 1 originally, but they had in a two for a price of one deal when I bought them.
Yup, the Opae Ula ate it all up. You could of gotten it when it was two years old :)