Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #6286  by opae ula related

Melijayne wrote:Oh! I forgot to mention, we have a new tank mate! :smile: :smile: :smile:
No Algae to eat though?

Yeah, no aquarium filter necessary.
 #6289  by Algae In Space

Melijayne wrote: 23 Dec 2018 14:21
Algae In Space wrote: 23 Dec 2018 11:29
What a shame. Now you have to do the Opae Ula Questionnaire all over again sometime :grin3:
Haha I guess so!

Ok, I'm just back from the aquatic shop and got some Biodigest (thanks @odin for the heads up!) And he said that I should have a filter in there because the water will be stagnant.

Now, I do have a filter but I read the start-up FAQ post a, I've seen other people's set ups, and I heard that shrimp are amazing keeping their environment healthy without any filtration.

Should I be using my filter?

TIA!

A filter is not needed. I would just throw in the bacteria and wait until everything settles down. It will take some weeks then slowly the algae will come. The Opae Ula are extremely hardy and don't need extra food! They will scrape away the little bacteria and algae the will find in the tank.

Nice snail! Just for the snail you could put in a little food now and then :grin3:
 #6292  by Melijayne

opae ula related wrote: 23 Dec 2018 15:34
Melijayne wrote:Oh! I forgot to mention, we have a new tank mate! :smile: :smile: :smile:
No Algae to eat though?

Yeah I got some algae included with my original shrimp world, so I've popped some in with the snail.

I bought an equivalent to biodigest as they didn't have any in stock and they 're little balls that dissolve.

Now, it says to put them in the filter, buy obviously I don't have a filter, so can I just drop them in?

I'm so sorry for all the questions, I just don't wanna kill my little ladies!

You guys have been amazing thanks for all your help until now :smile:
 #6295  by Algae In Space

Melijayne wrote: 23 Dec 2018 19:17
opae ula related wrote: 23 Dec 2018 15:34
No Algae to eat though?

Yeah I got some algae included with my original shrimp world, so I've popped some in with the snail.

I bought an equivalent to biodigest as they didn't have any in stock and they 're little balls that dissolve.

Now, it says to put them in the filter, buy obviously I don't have a filter, so can I just drop them in?

I'm so sorry for all the questions, I just don't wanna kill my little ladies!

You guys have been amazing thanks for all your help until now :smile:

Well as I see it the biodigest can be compared to the special blend I'm using. But I don't know of any balls sorry. Is there no manual?
 #6296  by odin

You can remove the dislike by pressing the dislike button again, Your water will be fine without a filter and just dump the biodigest in your tank :)
 #6297  by odin

Just as a side note be sure to have a cover on your tank or the snail will escape and you will find him dried up and dead somewhere close by :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #6323  by Melijayne

Haha yes, don't worry my tank is snail proof.

I wanted to ask you guys about shrimp behaviour as I saw one of my shrimps acting really weird today.

One of them was swimming upright but on the spot, so he was kicking his swimmerets (if that's the correct term?) But not going anywhere. Then he would stop and sink to the bottom.

Well I freaked out because I though he had just died in front of my eyes, but then he swm back up a but and did it again?!

Just swimming on the spot and freefalling while the other shrimp just watched on from her stick.

Is this a mating ritual? Is he doing because he likes it and thinks it's fun? I didn't think about shrimp having their own personalities before!!! :laugh:

Also does anyone know what these long bits are? I noticed they have appeared this morning, it looks like poop but isn't it too big for a Shrimp poop? :plain:
Attachments:
20181225_154054.jpg
20181225_154054.jpg (787.09 KiB) Viewed 6635 times
 #6324  by Algae In Space

Melijayne wrote: 25 Dec 2018 15:48 Haha yes, don't worry my tank is snail proof.

I wanted to ask you guys about shrimp behaviour as I saw one of my shrimps acting really weird today.

One of them was swimming upright but on the spot, so he was kicking his swimmerets (if that's the correct term?) But not going anywhere. Then he would stop and sink to the bottom.

Well I freaked out because I though he had just died in front of my eyes, but then he swm back up a but and did it again?!

Just swimming on the spot and freefalling while the other shrimp just watched on from her stick.

Is this a mating ritual? Is he doing because he likes it and thinks it's fun? I didn't think about shrimp having their own personalities before!!! :laugh:

Also does anyone know what these long bits are? I noticed they have appeared this morning, it looks like poop but isn't it too big for a Shrimp poop? :plain:

Shrimp behaviour - yes that happens. They do funny moves sometimes when they are lazy for example. But I would do some monitoring just to be on the safe side! If they start to tumble it could also mean that they are poisoned!! I had two deaths due to poisoning and could never figure out why. If he lands on the substrate but on his side it's a bad sign. Then it is time for a water change asap.

The long bits could be snail poop??
 #6325  by Algae In Space

Melijayne wrote: 25 Dec 2018 15:48 Haha yes, don't worry my tank is snail proof.

It could also mean that this one has just moulted! They are a bit strange afterwards.
Last edited by Algae In Space on 26 Dec 2018 11:09, edited 1 time in total.
 #6328  by odin

That's definitely snail poop! The shrimp will probably have a munch on that too :dead: :dead: Mine to do that floating down and sometimes upside down until they hit the substrate then swim around again but as @Algae In Space has mentioned it may of just moulted or is close to moulting its old skin.