Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

■ We sell Opae ula Shrimp and Brackish water Macroalgae via our UK eBay store HERE
This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #6441  by opae ula related
 09 Jan 2019 22:19
Vorteil wrote:@opae ula related

Looks like you & Odin have had yours for years. Any chance you can get the larvae to survive? I'm sure you have tried.
Nope. No body has from what I gathered. Only way is to release them in Hawaii : )
 #6444  by Algae In Space
 10 Jan 2019 18:35
opae ula related wrote: 09 Jan 2019 22:21
Algae In Space wrote:Somewhere I heard they only live a few years...?
I couldnt find it but it was mentioned before in this forum. Had mines for 3.5 years now. I am sure others had them longer.

Well I would certainly want to know how long they live. If someone stumbles upon some info please share :sidesmile:
 #6483  by Vorteil
 15 Jan 2019 18:53
Thinking of ways to try breeding as well even though everyone has tried. I could guess that they babies would need a few weeks to mature once released. What are your thoughts on the following:
    Now if the ML release the babies can they just be transferred directly into salt water? or does this need to be done gradually?
      What about a full salt tank that contains zooplankton and rotifers? Granted you will also have to add food to feed the rotifers and zooplankton.
        Keep a slow airline in the tank. Probably would have to change the water out often due to the die off.
         #6484  by opae ula related
         15 Jan 2019 19:21
        Vorteil wrote:Thinking of ways to try breeding as well even though everyone has tried. I could guess that they babies would need a few weeks to mature once released. What are your thoughts on the following:
          Now if the ML release the babies can they just be transferred directly into salt water? or does this need to be done gradually?
            What about a full salt tank that contains zooplankton and rotifers? Granted you will also have to add food to feed the rotifers and zooplankton.
              Keep a slow airline in the tank. Probably would have to change the water out often due to the die off.

Looking at the yolk sac, needs to feed after a few days to a week. Per "Hawaiian Anchialine Pools" book it takes a a month for the incubation period. I was thinking a large full salt aquarium with lot's of water movement with fast airline/filters and 10%- 20% change of water daily with ocean water to feed them. Tank temperate of 76 and higher to match the temperature in Hawaii waters.

https://www.currentresults.com/Oceans/T ... rature.php
              Last edited by opae ula related on 15 Jan 2019 19:30, edited 1 time in total.
               #6486  by opae ula related
               15 Jan 2019 19:32
              Vorteil wrote: 15 Jan 2019 19:28 Where would you get the ocean water? No additives/food?
              some lfs sells ocean water. I think Beano tried it with ocean water but it didn't work. He had a no water movement small tank though.
              Last edited by opae ula related on 15 Jan 2019 19:48, edited 2 times in total.