Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Having issues with your tank or inhabitants? Need to know what equipment to use or have other questions? Post here!
 #5418  by tzg

What do you guys do with dust that falls on your water surface, the dust floating on the water surface is very obvious if there is no filter running.
 #5419  by odin

I use a lid for my tank or my snails escape :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #5420  by tzg

i have a lid too but it is not fully covered due to my fan. luckily my snails prefer to be in water. :smile:
 #6652  by zlatan2601

tzg wrote: 19 Sep 2018 08:35 i have a lid too but it is not fully covered due to my fan. luckily my snails prefer to be in water. :smile:
Which snails do you have? Looking for snails who do not escape in brakish water...
 #6653  by Algae In Space

I got these guys: Melanoides maculata (black trumpet snails). Love em. Pretty and easy to keep. Salinity should not be to high tho! They can't handle full blown seawater but 1010 is ok... Got 1008 at the moment.
 #6654  by zlatan2601

Algae In Space wrote: 29 Jan 2019 20:18 I got these guys: Melanoides maculata (black trumpet snails). Love em. Pretty and easy to keep. Salinity should not be to high tho! They can't handle full blown seawater but 1010 is ok... Got 1008 at the moment.
Can they handle 1.014? I am between 1.012 and 1.014 depending on water evaporation... I'll see if i can buy one of those snails, they are indeed pretty :blush:
 #6655  by Algae In Space

I really don't know. Any particular reason why you got 1014? If not lower salt concentration would be better. You could also get the Malaysian Trumpet Snail for example if you can't find the black one.
 #6656  by zlatan2601

I actually have 1.012, as i've read this is bedt for breeding. But i've calculated that due to evaporation i would be be worst case at 1.014 bedore i ad RO water and I am at 1.012 again... Unless you tell me i need to lower this range...?
 #6658  by Algae In Space

I am certainly no master breeder but I question that. On Hawaii there are pools with as low as 1003 and the Opae still reproduce. :grin3: I could never find real studies on that topic. The larvae need salt that's for sure. But I really don't think it has to be above 1010.
 #6660  by zlatan2601

Great, good to know. Guess i will lover it to 1.010 then... Then it's only a matter of finding snails which won't reproduce in brackish water somewhere nearby😅