Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #6717  by opae ula related

Algae In Space wrote:
Arnold wrote: 02 Feb 2019 14:31 Big claws supposed to be females, small claws supposed to be males

As I don't have a macro lens I wonder how one can tell if this is true? Have you examined yours? I can't remember if there is something written on it in the holy book. What does OUR say?
Yeah new info to me. Where did Arnold see this? I will try to observe.
 #6718  by opae ula related

opae ula related wrote:
Algae In Space wrote:
Arnold wrote: 02 Feb 2019 14:31 Big claws supposed to be females, small claws supposed to be males

As I don't have a macro lens I wonder how one can tell if this is true? Have you examined yours? I can't remember if there is something written on it in the holy book. What does OUR say?
Yeah new info to me. Where did Arnold see this? I will try to observe.

It looks normal size. I could be wrong but i think it is an illusion that it is bigger when they are using their claws for picking algae because they are using it in rapid motion compared to an Opae Ula standing still.
 #6720  by Algae In Space

Wow so cool to see how she keeps the eggs clean :grin3: Can't tell a thing about the claws tho :smile:

It always seems so amazing to me that they can even swim with all these eggs!
 #6723  by zlatan2601

Awesome video! Your theory might be right, that i am confusing the two front legs with claws when they are resting. As i only see the claws when they are standing still...

Will keep an eye on it
 #6743  by Vorteil

I do see in my tanks that there can be a big difference in claw sizes.
 #6744  by zlatan2601

I can confirm I also still have the idea that there is a difference... But with my ohone I can't capture it on photo...
 #9129  by moriker

I noticed the same in mine too! Here's a pic of one with a significantly bigger and redder claws than the rest of his/her tankmates!
Attachments:
20200525_093803.jpg
20200525_093803.jpg (919.1 KiB) Viewed 7980 times