Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Having issues with your tank or inhabitants? Need to know what equipment to use or have other questions? Post here!
 #6798  by thecollector

zlatan2601 wrote: 18 Feb 2019 17:21 Ok I understand. Why is your tank 1 only filled halfway btw?
I covered it in my thread, but basically I'm trying to mimic the shallow pools the Opae are found in. Thus the tank being only filled half way.

I had not found a tank that was not too high (less than 20cm) but wide, and the depth (front to back) being long. Almost like a coral reef frag tank but without the price tag.

A couple of weeks ago, I did find a glass turtle tank that was almost perfect.
 #6803  by odin

thecollector wrote:
zlatan2601 wrote: 18 Feb 2019 17:21 Ok I understand. Why is your tank 1 only filled halfway btw?
I covered it in my thread, but basically I'm trying to mimic the shallow pools the Opae are found in. Thus the tank being only filled half way.

I had not found a tank that was not too high (less than 20cm) but wide, and the depth (front to back) being long. Almost like a coral reef frag tank but without the price tag.

Have you tried going to a LFS that makes tanks and ask them to knock one up for you?
 #6814  by thecollector

odin wrote: 19 Feb 2019 21:28
thecollector wrote:

Have you tried going to a LFS that makes tanks and ask them to knock one up for you?

Yes and no...

But mainly no, because I sat down and tallied the amount I spent last year on just the Opae and got a shock.

For the time being I'm sticking to just looking for off the shelf tanks, there is some interesting Fireaqua tanks from Germany but they are a bit to shallow.

Having said that, I will be increasing tank capacities soon.