Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #6829  by Algae In Space

Also have a look at this crazy algae ball. It has grown a massive afro!
Attachments:
A2B9AB2C-6286-4600-B8A1-EED8E8A680CE.jpeg
A2B9AB2C-6286-4600-B8A1-EED8E8A680CE.jpeg (467.68 KiB) Viewed 4711 times
 #6830  by opae ula related

Algae In Space wrote:Also have a look at this crazy algae ball. It has grown a massive afro!
Ha. Needs a haircut.
 #6834  by Vorteil

[usermention=242][color=#148FCF]@Algae In Space[/color][/usermention]

You are either me, my twin brother, or ... You are going through everything that I had in the past. Hair algae & MTS. At first the smaller MTS I had didn't produce too many babies just a few here and there. Nothing crazy. Then I decided to stich a bunch of adult MTS in my tanks. Babies exploded all over the place. This was not what I wanted. Big regrets with tiny white specs all over the tanks. Great looking snails but reproduce too much. My fault to a degree too.

Now here's a tub of snails
Attachments:
IMG_3827.JPG
IMG_3827.JPG (61.52 KiB) Viewed 4704 times
MTS.JPG
MTS.JPG (48.91 KiB) Viewed 4704 times
IMG_1245.JPG
IMG_1245.JPG (34.42 KiB) Viewed 4704 times
IMG_1239.JPG
IMG_1239.JPG (30.55 KiB) Viewed 4704 times
 #6835  by opae ula related

Vorteil wrote:@Algae In Space

You are either me, my twin brother, or ... You are going through everything that I had in the past. Hair algae & MTS. At first the smaller MTS I had didn't produce too many babies just a few here and there. Nothing crazy. Then I decided to stich a bunch of adult MTS in my tanks. Babies exploded all over the place. This was not what I wanted. Big regrets with tiny white specs all over the tanks. Great looking snails but reproduce too much. My fault to a degree too.

Now here's a tub of snails
Damn!!! Your first photo! I was able to get rid of them in my opae ula tank and I dump them in my small betta tanks and they reproduce but not like yours. :)
 #6836  by Algae In Space

My god it's the exodus! They will consume the entire cosmos!!! Just think about it. It's exponential growth :lol:

Insane how many? But they are so cute. What are you feeding them in their tub?
 #6837  by Algae In Space

Now here is something to consider.

Single threads of "hair algae" and "algae balls" look very similar. I am not so sure if the "hair algae" is hair algae at all. Couldn't it be that it is just algae from the algae balls growing on top of a rock? Just thinking out loud...
 #6838  by Arnold

My white MTS also are starting to populate, there are a lot of babies, they are doing a fantastic work cleaning the substrate its funny how they dig themselves in the sand. The Marimo balls need a haircut, I also have that stringy algae that grows on the cladophora its a pain to get rid off :ow:
 #6841  by Algae In Space

Arnold wrote: 23 Feb 2019 15:22 My white MTS also are starting to populate, there are a lot of babies, they are doing a fantastic work cleaning the substrate its funny how they dig themselves in the sand. The Marimo balls need a haircut, I also have that stringy algae that grows on the cladophora its a pain to get rid off :ow:

Good to hear that the snails are doing well! Well I'll see what I will do with the algae... I'm not sure yet.
 #6842  by Vorteil

The snails in the tub are what I pulled from another container. I pulled all the snails from all my tanks. I let the walls of my tanks just build up with algae. When I added adult snails they went to eating all the algae and over time just started breeding like crazy. Just too many snails so I now prefer not to have any in my tanks. Just a few nerites in one tank. The only thing is if you have sand and the MTS like to burrow in it you never know when they die in there.