Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #7034  by thecollector

I thought I'd start a new thread, so as to keep my other thread focused on how my Opae are progressing.

The aim here is to get some input on how others would handle the situation that I am in.

Basically, I have 3 tanks. Each with Opae from different suppliers. I’ve listed where I got them from in my other thread, so won’t cover that here.

There seams to be quite a difference between the Opae in tank 3 and the other two tanks.

I’ve personally started calling tank 3 Opae: jumbos, as they are nearly at the max size of what Opae can supposedly grow to (just in body length), they are also much thicker than the Opae in the other two tanks. Although that maybe because 10 or so of the Opae are female.

The Opae in tank 1 are from @Oden, with 1 Opae from the same source as the Opae in tank 2. I had a problem with the first batch of Opae from that supplier and lost all but 1, didn’t have anywhere else to put that Opae, so put it in with Oden’s lot.

So...

Should I keep them separate, and try and do an F1, F2 lineage setup.

Or...

Mix them up and see what happens.
 #7038  by Vorteil

As you know opae ula will only breed with it's own lineage. So ones from Maui will only breed with Maui, ones from Oahu...and so on. I didn't realize this & purchased mine from several different suppliers as well. My thoughts were to create a more diverse group like freshwater shrimp but then learned it doesn't work that way. So in the end I mixed all of mine up in 5 different tanks. I'm hoping in the next month or so to cut down on the numbers of tanks and add all of these to a 40 gallon and a 20 gallon long. I have the tanks just need to clean up the garage where they are and add a rack.
 #7039  by opae ula related

thecollector wrote:I thought I'd start a new thread, so as to keep my other thread focused on how my Opae are progressing.

The aim here is to get some input on how others would handle the situation that I am in.

Basically, I have 3 tanks. Each with Opae from different suppliers. I’ve listed where I got them from in my other thread, so won’t cover that here.

There seams to be quite a difference between the Opae in tank 3 and the other two tanks.

I’ve personally started calling tank 3 Opae: jumbos, as they are nearly at the max size of what Opae can supposedly grow to (just in body length), they are also much thicker than the Opae in the other two tanks. Although that maybe because 10 or so of the Opae are female.

The Opae in tank 1 are from @Oden, with 1 Opae from the same source as the Opae in tank 2. I had a problem with the first batch of Opae from that supplier and lost all but 1, didn’t have anywhere else to put that Opae, so put it in with Oden’s lot.

So...

Should I keep them separate, and try and do an F1, F2 lineage setup.

Or...

Mix them up and see what happens.
You ever measure your jumbo ones?

#7045  by opae ula related

thecollector wrote:Yep, when I was writing the post above, I managed to measure one at 1.3cm long.

That's them below:
Ok, that is also the same measurement for the largest ones I have.
 #9268  by moriker

was there any conclusion for this? I think the ones I'm getting here are already all mixed lineage and looked different, though from same supplier. I suppose this happens when you have local breeders and they just mix everything into a big tank.
 #9275  by odin

moriker wrote:was there any conclusion for this? I think the ones I'm getting here are already all mixed lineage and looked different, though from same supplier. I suppose this happens when you have local breeders and they just mix everything into a big tank.
Either that or wild caught and they are all mixed, i move my young to sperate tanks as larvae so when they grow and i sell them the majority are the same age.