Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Anything and everything not related to Opae ula can go here!
 #7554  by Vorteil

Here's something I caught locally here in California & put in my tank of guppies. Anyone know what this is? I do but I'm curious it anyone else does and recognizes it.
Attachments:
IMG_5755.JPG
IMG_5755.JPG (46.09 KiB) Viewed 6872 times
IMG_5752.JPG
IMG_5752.JPG (35.39 KiB) Viewed 6872 times
IMG_5756.JPG
IMG_5756.JPG (46.09 KiB) Viewed 6872 times
IMG_5753.JPG
IMG_5753.JPG (33.56 KiB) Viewed 6872 times
 #7562  by Vorteil

Yeah that's probably an easy guess since you can see the legs but this one is unique. This is actually an African Clawed frog tadpole. As a tadpole it filter feeds. Extremely fragile and if you need to catch it they recommend you do not use a net since & if you do you will probably hurt it during the process. Survival rate is 60%. This is an invasive species here in California. I had heard that there are places here that these frogs are living in. Bad for the enviroment as it will eat anything it can fit in it's mouth. I found a few in a puddle of water near a stream that was flooded by the rains we had here a couple of months ago. Tried to feed them various foods but almost all died. Threw 2 into a tub I had outside with plants and guppies. Just recently took everything out of the tubs and this one made it. Not only this tadpole but also one that already transformed into a frog. These are illegal here in California to buy/sell. I see these on eBay & out of state stores. Bad for the enviroment.
Attachments:
African-Clawed-Frog.png
African-Clawed-Frog.png (63.32 KiB) Viewed 6867 times