Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #7600  by opae ula related

Rex113 wrote:I feed them brine shrimp twice a week. A very small amount as to not foul up the water. They also graze on the algae in the tank, sometimes I see them swimming upside down at the surface to eat the green film that is always there. I also tried shrimp pellets but they stopped eating them after a while.
Cool. What about the green water? Store bought?
 #7611  by Algae In Space

opae ula related wrote: 02 Jun 2019 14:53
Algae In Space wrote:
Rex113 wrote: 02 Jun 2019 00:55 I have tried leaving the net in the tank but these shrimp sense that something is up. I watched a video on YouTube about the clear glass shrimp catcher and I think I will order one. I’ll keep you guys updated.

It requires a little practise but is great for shrimp as they stay in the water all the time and they often don't see the glass coming. Just make sure you put it in with your finger on the glass tube to seal it. I always submerge the “catcher“ part and then seal the tube to leave air in the “handle“ part then lower it into the tank next to the Opae let go and wooosh the Opae is sucked into the pipe. It's pretty simple but difficult to explain.
AIG, you need to video this! : )

Tried to take a vid today but it's too difficult for me to hold the phone (and frame) in one hand and operate the pipe with the other. I gave up after several attempts. Maybe I'll manage sometime...
 #7612  by Rex113

opae ula related wrote: 09 Jun 2019 03:27
Rex113 wrote:I feed them brine shrimp twice a week. A very small amount as to not foul up the water. They also graze on the algae in the tank, sometimes I see them swimming upside down at the surface to eat the green film that is always there. I also tried shrimp pellets but they stopped eating them after a while.
Yes the green water is store bought and needs to be refrigerated. If you hold it up to a light and use a magnifying glass, you can see the microscopic plankton wiggling about.
 #7613  by opae ula related

Rex113 wrote:
Yes the green water is store bought and needs to be refrigerated. If you hold it up to a light and use a magnifying glass, you can see the microscopic plankton wiggling about.
What brand you use?
 #7614  by opae ula related

Algae In Space wrote:
opae ula related wrote: 02 Jun 2019 14:53
Algae In Space wrote:
It requires a little practise but is great for shrimp as they stay in the water all the time and they often don't see the glass coming. Just make sure you put it in with your finger on the glass tube to seal it. I always submerge the “catcher“ part and then seal the tube to leave air in the “handle“ part then lower it into the tank next to the Opae let go and wooosh the Opae is sucked into the pipe. It's pretty simple but difficult to explain.
AIG, you need to video this! : )

Tried to take a vid today but it's too difficult for me to hold the phone (and frame) in one hand and operate the pipe with the other. I gave up after several attempts. Maybe I'll manage sometime...
Use your feet : ) , maybe stack your device on some books or something.
 #7615  by Rex113

opae ula related wrote: 09 Jun 2019 20:39
Rex113 wrote:
What brand you use?
I believe it’s made by the fish store, the bottle has a sticker on it that says Live phytoplankton 200,000,000 cells/ml. No brand name
 #7619  by Vorteil

@Rex113

Well, did you catch her or is she still giving you the cold shoulder? I can see the saddles and what looks to be eggs forming in mine and moving down towards the tail. No way do I think I can catch mine without tearing apart the tank. I'm not ready to try to raise the babies. At least not yet.
 #7622  by Rex113

Vorteil wrote: 10 Jun 2019 20:25 @Rex113

Well, did you catch her or is she still giving you the cold shoulder? I can see the saddles and what looks to be eggs forming in mine and moving down towards the tail. No way do I think I can catch mine without tearing apart the tank. I'm not ready to try to raise the babies. At least not yet.
I have not :angry: these shrimp must be highly intelligent, I had to remove the net from the water because my tank looked like a ghost town. They all went into hiding I would also have to tear down my tank to catch her. She is hiding behind a large bubble rock that’s glued to the glass and will not move I can see that the eggs she is carrying have gotten darker than last week. My only hope is to try and catch the larvae once she releases them. I think I seen a video once and they seem to bob around the tank for a while once they are released maybe then I can attract them with a light and try and scoop them out. I’m glad that your M/L are also showing signs of developing eggs , I know you are busy with other things but you must try and raise them we are counting on you :smile:
 #7623  by Vorteil

Yes I think the best thing you can do is just wait till they are free floating and then scoop them up. Try to acclimate them as you have maybe 7 days till they feed on their own?
 #7627  by Beano

It’s very hard to catch the berried lohena. I remove all my tank rocks and decorations and once they have no hiding place I then use a shrimp net to catch the lohena to the breeding tank. I keep the breeding tank salinity the same as the main tank so the berried lohena doesn’t feel uncomfortable. Once the larvae are released I transfer them to higher salinity tank. If I didn’t do that they would die in about 2 days.