Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #7729  by Beano

The larva lasted longest on 1.020 salinity ...7-8 days so I didn’t change the salinity while trying different feed. The sea water and 1.026 salinity, they lasted 3-4 days. But I am thinking it could be due to the feed fouling the water....so no harm if you guys want to try different salinity with the same feed
 #7730  by opae ula related

Beano wrote:The larva lasted longest on 1.020 salinity ...7-8 days so I didn’t change the salinity while trying different feed. The sea water and 1.026 salinity, they lasted 3-4 days. But I am thinking it could be due to the feed fouling the water....so no harm if you guys want to try different salinity with the same feed
Cool. Did you use an air pump? I was planning that.
 #7734  by opae ula related

Vorteil wrote:@opae ula related

When do you think you will try? Are any of your ML's berried?

She is currently berried in a guppy box. I will transfer her in the box to another tank once I get most of the OP out. If any ML larvae (when they are ready) get out of the box through the opening I will transfer the mommy ML back to original tank. Then go from there.

#7735  by Beano

opae ula related wrote: 20 Jun 2019 19:44
Beano wrote:The larva lasted longest on 1.020 salinity ...7-8 days so I didn’t change the salinity while trying different feed. The sea water and 1.026 salinity, they lasted 3-4 days. But I am thinking it could be due to the feed fouling the water....so no harm if you guys want to try different salinity with the same feed
Yes I used an air sponge filter. One thing I didn’t do was changing the water. I had thought changing the water daily would stress out the larvae and reckon the air pump filter would help clean the water to an acceptable level but on hindsight maybe I should have considered changing a percentage of the water daily
 #7736  by opae ula related

Beano wrote:
Yes I used an air sponge filter. One thing I didn’t do was changing the water. I had thought changing the water daily would stress out the larvae and reckon the air pump filter would help clean the water to an acceptable level but on hindsight maybe I should have considered changing a percentage of the water daily
Yeah, depending on size of tank/container that a little water change is good. Do you think this is right that they survive on the yolk sac for a few days then filter feed algae/ microorganisms next? The bigger the tank the better.
 #7737  by Beano

opae ula related wrote: 21 Jun 2019 03:58
Beano wrote:
Yeah, depending on size of tank/container that a little water change is good. Do you think this is right that they survive on the yolk sac for a few days then filter feed algae/ microorganisms next? The bigger the tank the better.
In my early larvae transfers I didn’t feed them at all because I thought they could survive like the opa ula larvae without feeding. The lohena larvae started dying after day 3 so I think they don’t have a yoke sack or it’s very minimal.
 #7743  by Beano

Algae In Space wrote: 21 Jun 2019 10:35 Have you guys tried Nannochloropsis? Like this:

https://www.amazon.de/Nannochloropsis-P ... ay&sr=8-1/

Is this the "green water" you were talking about?
I bought some nannochloropsis culture from this site http://floridaaquafarms.com/shop/microalgae-disks/

But didn’t get around to cultivating ....I lost the culture dishes,...suspect wife might have accidentally thrown them in the bin. :tongue:
 #7744  by opae ula related

Beano wrote:
opae ula related wrote: 21 Jun 2019 03:58
Beano wrote:
In my early larvae transfers I didn’t feed them at all because I thought they could survive like the opa ula larvae without feeding. The lohena larvae started dying after day 3 so I think they don’t have a yoke sack or it’s very minimal.
Yeah, minimal. Man, you sure tried a lot of times!