Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #7905  by Opae157

Hi guys I want to start another tank of opae ula. Usually i mix 100g of redsea marine salt to a 5L RO water as my opae water parameters so far i didnt have any problems.

Was thinking what are your advises on the brand of marine salt and what are your brackish water set up mixtures?

Lets say 5L. Because i usually directly mix salt to a 5L setup or to a 1.5L bottle and make a few bottles.

If 1.5L bottles how much salt in grams?
If 5L bottles how much salt in grams?

Your advises are greatly appreciated
 #7907  by odin

Depending on the brand depends on the mix with weights/grams per litre. I usually have my water sat around 1.013 but if it was 1.010 I wouldn’t make it stronger just for the sake of it.

I use instant ocean Marine salt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #7917  by Opae157

ok guys i will update on what brand marine salt i will be getting and all. as i dont have a test kit for the salinity so i need your advises. if i use those baking spoons that says how many tablespoons or how many ml should be ok right? like 15ml spoon means around 15g right hahaha then 100g of marine salt to 5L RO water should be fine?
 #7930  by odin

Yes you want to mix the water and salt and let it sit at least 24 hours to make sure it is dissolved properly, you may need to disturb the substrate a little also as the salt can just sit on the bottom of the tank. It can be harmful to life if not dissolved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #7931  by Algae In Space

Opae157 wrote: 10 Jul 2019 09:38 HI GUYS I HAVE A PROBLEM. if the marine salt is not fully dissolved and floating around in the water is it harmful to the opae ula?? OH MANNNNNN>>>>>>

Did you mix it at room temps? It's best to do that. It is possible that not every particle dissolves and that a tiny amount stays at the bottom of the "mixing canister". Just let it settle and pour in the clear water. If you already got it in the tank stir it a little as Odin advised. I guess everything will be A OK.