Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #7893  by Algae In Space

opae ula related wrote: 05 Jul 2019 23:31
Algae In Space wrote:To me it seems she's picking stuff up not filtering? :ninja:
Another one. Yeah, not 100% sure.

I'd say clearly picking stuff up. I don't even know how they could filter. For that they must "inhale" water and filter it internally somehow. Or do it like the

#7896  by opae ula related

Cool. If you look at first video, you can see particles being sucked in at some points.

So if food in water like green water, they don’t need to pick but suck it up.
 #7900  by opae ula related

Owlbit wrote:If they can filter feed, would it be plausible to feed them phytoplankton?
Might foul the water? Remember some people never feed anything. They just eat the algae growing in the tank.
 #7921  by Vorteil

You really just want to stick to the basics. If you have algae growing in your tank that's all the opae need. There's also biofilm in there. There's no need to do more. I don't feed my tanks or jars and my quart jar is releasing babies again as we speak. All I do is top off the water & enjoy the low low low maintence.
 #7963  by Owlbit

Later today I will finally have my shrimps.
Here is how the tank looks today. I did do some minor changes earlier this week.
Attachments:
tank_20190712_thumb.jpg
tank_20190712_thumb.jpg (35.18 KiB) Viewed 5776 times
 #7966  by Owlbit

:smile: I picked up my shrimps today. They are just swimming everywhere with a few grazing from time to time. Even when I know these shrimps are small, it is just so amazing to see them in person. I am thrilled I finally have my little red shrimps. I was tempted to feed them, but I resisted for now. :lol: They should have enough to graze on for now.

After a convincing talk, I have decided to remove the filter. I will miss you filter. :cry: It is just so hard to undo old ways of aquarium keeping. Maybe I should put a sticker on the tank that says "Hands off".
Attachments:
tank_20190712c_thumb.jpg
tank_20190712c_thumb.jpg (43.27 KiB) Viewed 5764 times
tank_20190712b_thumb.jpg
tank_20190712b_thumb.jpg (32.48 KiB) Viewed 5764 times
tank_20190712a_thumb.jpg
tank_20190712a_thumb.jpg (47.05 KiB) Viewed 5764 times
 #7967  by Algae In Space

Owlbit wrote: 13 Jul 2019 04:26 :smile: I picked up my shrimps today. They are just swimming everywhere with a few grazing from time to time. Even when I know these shrimps are small, it is just so amazing to see them in person. I am thrilled I finally have my little red shrimps. I was tempted to feed them, but I resisted for now. :lol: They should have enough to graze on for now.

After a convincing talk, I have decided to remove the filter. I will miss you filter. :cry: It is just so hard to undo old ways of aquarium keeping. Maybe I should put a sticker on the tank that says "Hands off".

Cool! :lol: Love the mega tiny algae ball :sidesmile:

Don't feed! You'll regret it in the long run. Maybe bit of spirulina. But it's not necessary. Even if there is no visible algae there will be enough for them to feed on.