Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #8031  by Vorteil

Here's a story of a hard lessoned learned on why not to have MTS in your tanks. I think of all the snails I have this is one of the coolest looking snails. I had some in a 6 gallon cube and they didn't seem to breed much at all. So I decided to take some from some of my outside tanks & put them into my opae tanks. Tons of algae in my tanks that there was more than enough to go around for everyone. Within a month tons of babies all over the tanks. Took out all the adult snails. Tried to catch as many babies as I could. These would congregate at the top of the water surface. Keep in mind there's no sand in this tank. Just lava rock. Worst mistake ever.
MTS.JPG
MTS.JPG (48.91 KiB) Viewed 8014 times
 #8033  by odin

We used assassin snails to eliminate ours in the fresh water tanks but its a shame they wont do salt water. :upset:
 #8047  by opae ula related

Vorteil wrote:Here's a story of a hard lessoned learned on why not to have MTS in your tanks. I think of all the snails I have this is one of the coolest looking snails. I had some in a 6 gallon cube and they didn't seem to breed much at all. So I decided to take some from some of my outside tanks & put them into my opae tanks. Tons of algae in my tanks that there was more than enough to go around for everyone. Within a month tons of babies all over the tanks. Took out all the adult snails. Tried to catch as many babies as I could. These would congregate at the top of the water surface. Keep in mind there's no sand in this tank. Just lava rock. Worst mistake ever.
MTS.JPG
Man, not good looking at all
 #8103  by pentux

Babies r getting lesser. Left 2 adults inside. Will scoop them out if they happen to reach higher in the tank. Nerites r cool. 2 still surviving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #8919  by pentux

Been a while since I have updated.
Ever since leaving my last job, my tank has been relocated back home where the temp averages 29-30 c. Added a fan recently to cool the tank by a bit as get a chiller for a small tank seems too much (wife will complain). My nerites died recently not sure whether due to age and I picked them out. Had a cover custom maded to cover the tank as flies tend to get in. With the fan, water evaporates real fast. Will it be wise to keep using the fan n top ip with distilled water every week?

#8920  by pentux

pentux wrote:Been a while since I have updated.
Ever since leaving my last job, my tank has been relocated back home where the temp averages 29-30 c. Added a fan recently to cool the tank by a bit as get a chiller for a small tank seems too much (wife will complain). My nerites died recently not sure whether due to age and I picked them out. Had a cover custom maded to cover the tank as flies tend to get in. With the fan, water evaporates real fast. Will it be wise to keep using the fan n top ip with distilled water every week?

ImageImage