Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #8507  by Vorteil

I've been culturing gammarus shrimp as live food for fish. I decided to take a better video of feeding these to my colony of alpha's. Just another alternative food for them. It allows them to hunt down their prey. These scuds breed like crazy. Even though they are freshwater they readily adapt to brackish and thrive.

#8511  by Vorteil

Yeah they always seem to be on the move for food. I originally though just add the scuds and let them breed in there. The alpha's will catch them here and there and it will a food source that will allow them to hunt for. Unfortunately the aplha's ate them all that night.
 #8513  by Vorteil

They are cool but when the conditions are idea they breed like crazy. Now this is a food source for my alpha's.
 #8514  by opae ula related

Vorteil wrote:I've been culturing gammarus shrimp as live food for fish. I decided to take a better video of feeding these to my colony of alpha's. Just another alternative food for them. It allows them to hunt down their prey. These scuds breed like crazy. Even though they are freshwater they readily adapt to brackish and thrive.

Damn. Never saw them like that before.
 #8515  by Algae In Space

I totally feel for those Scuds. They seems fascinating to me. I could never keep such tiny shrimp for feeding purposes. I'm too empathetic :ninja: But I am also fascinated by the Alphas franticly chasing after them.
 #8520  by Vorteil

This is why I never see any free floating babies in the tank. There's no way they would survive. Keep in mind there's around 80 alpha's in this tank.

For any here in the US that want scuds I will give them away for free. Just pay the postage and I'll ship.

The alpha's are extremely predatory. Any food source they come across they will eat if they can catch it. Just like feefing brine shrimp but scuds have a high nutritional value plus the chase. This is what they do naturally.
 #8521  by Owlbit

I am almost tempted to set up a pet Scud tank to save them. I saw a smaller scud this morning in my 2.5g tank. I accidentally killed the last one. :cry:

Those Alphas are just insane. Like watching a mini shark tank. Ty for sharing that video.