Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

■ Our shrimp sales are temporarily on pause while the pandemic lockdown is underway. ■
Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #8724  by grrayc
 14 Jan 2020 20:11
odin wrote: 14 Jan 2020 19:22 If you are prepared to do water changes if needed or can dose biodigest and test your water quality id just transfer it all over at once including shrimp. Make sure the extra brackish water you use it at least a few days old so all the salt is fully dissolved.
I have 4 tanks in my house, so I am always prepared to dose/water change/and have every test kit known to man haha!

But, I actually now have the patience and a little knowledge to wait at least a little bit now. Last night I transferred a good amount of gravel, a LOT of shrimp poop and biofilm, some loose rocks, and some macro algae. I also added 20% of their water into the new tank and added fresh brackish water to it. It’s currently in the house but in front of the window, with a super strong grow lamp on it.

I’d rather wait a few days anyway, since they get so stressed out when I mess with their environments.
 #8728  by grrayc
 15 Jan 2020 01:21
@opae ula related,
opae ula related wrote:
odin wrote:Sounds like a plan! Let us know how you get on. :sidesmile:
And pics of new tank : )
ahhh yes! I always forget this hahaha. I love love love setting up tanks (and seeing others). I do have a few nice freshwater ones if anyone is interested....(built a tank out of a 1930's radio) not sure if that's allowed or welcomed here though.
 #8729  by grrayc
 15 Jan 2020 01:22
P.S.: I am looking for recomendations/advice on how to get a nice green algae-covered tank. I have never had any visible algae growth! I don't have a great window/indirect sun tank area at the moment. Does anyone have a light recommendation? I am in California, FYI so I have access to regular amazon, etc.
 #8730  by opae ula related
 15 Jan 2020 04:49
grrayc wrote:@opae ula related,
opae ula related wrote:
odin wrote:Sounds like a plan! Let us know how you get on. :sidesmile:
And pics of new tank : )
ahhh yes! I always forget this hahaha. I love love love setting up tanks (and seeing others). I do have a few nice freshwater ones if anyone is interested....(built a tank out of a 1930's radio) not sure if that's allowed or welcomed here though.
Please post. : )
 #8731  by opae ula related
 15 Jan 2020 04:53
grrayc wrote:P.S.: I am looking for recomendations/advice on how to get a nice green algae-covered tank. I have never had any visible algae growth! I don't have a great window/indirect sun tank area at the moment. Does anyone have a light recommendation? I am in California, FYI so I have access to regular amazon, etc.
If you already have a light, just leave it on longer and wait. Interested to see what others have to say.
 #8732  by grrayc
 15 Jan 2020 21:04
opae ula related wrote: 15 Jan 2020 04:49
grrayc wrote:@opae ula related,
opae ula related wrote:
And pics of new tank : )
ahhh yes! I always forget this hahaha. I love love love setting up tanks (and seeing others). I do have a few nice freshwater ones if anyone is interested....(built a tank out of a 1930's radio) not sure if that's allowed or welcomed here though.
Please post. : )
Alright here goes! My freshwater tanks. Two all self-scaped betta tanks and the 1930’s radio tank I made with my boyfriend, with red eye tetras and black neon tetras. I take care of every tank. He just takes credit for taking out the wiring ;)

Attachments:
IMG_2324.PNG
IMG_2324.PNG (156.19 KiB) Viewed 1943 times
jp8lgottkqw31.png
jp8lgottkqw31.png (617.1 KiB) Viewed 1943 times
IMG_2326.PNG
IMG_2326.PNG (232.3 KiB) Viewed 1943 times
IMG_2329.PNG
IMG_2329.PNG (106.53 KiB) Viewed 1943 times
IMG_2331.PNG
IMG_2331.PNG (163.36 KiB) Viewed 1943 times
IMG_2323.PNG
IMG_2323.PNG (191.93 KiB) Viewed 1943 times
 #8734  by grrayc
 16 Jan 2020 01:49
@opae ula related, I got it from my LFS, and it was labelled as "Jade Stone". I still have no idea what it really is, I could not find it online. I am pretty sure it is inert though, which is why I keep it with my betta. Its gorgeous, isn't it?