Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #8794  by grrayc

It's been just over a week since adding the shrimp, and maybe almost two since setting up the tank. I have not touched it at all! (Well, actually I fed it a tiny bit of spirulina probably twice). It is in a very indirect light facing window, but I keep a strong grow light on it, and a regular aquarium light on it 12 hours a day.

No heater, but I have been checking the temps and it stays pretty much around 68 degrees F-75 deegrees F!

Look at dat macroalgae growth! Also, Possibly algae-on-the-glass growth?

The shrimp are also coming out much more often! (well, a few at a time at least)
 #8797  by grrayc

Yeah it has lots of light and lots of nutrients. I can cut down on the artificial light time. I’m just so happy that they’re finally constantly out and about now, not hiding. I have no problem thinning it out. Just cut or pull some out? @vorteil
 #8798  by Vorteil

Yeah just cut & prune. IMHO I stay away from the more stringy algae. I think you can easily get out of control. My outside tank did that but it was more of a think hair algae. If it doesn't work let me know & I'll send you some of mine :wink:
 #8799  by grrayc

Vorteil wrote: 29 Jan 2020 08:00 Yeah just cut & prune. IMHO I stay away from the more stringy algae. I think you can easily get out of control. My outside tank did that but it was more of a think hair algae. If it doesn't work let me know & I'll send you some of mine :wink:
Interesting because i had mostly “fluffy” algae that most people had, more than the stringy algae so I’m not sure why it blew up like that! All I can tell is that the shrimp *seem* to be loving this setup and are much more active. But if it’s not the right kind, I am happy to get the right one! :)
 #8808  by odin

Hair algae is a very fast grower and will take over the tank, the shrimp ‘could’ get trapped in it... although I haven’t seen it my self but that’s probably because my tanks are free of it.