Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #8839  by Bill2020

Hi All, new to forum, reading through has been so helpful! I’ve kept aquariums since age 5, freshwater, marine, but with kids and busy life wanted something a little easier but for kids to enjoy. So found these shrimp and wanna try! Tank still cycling but ammonia and nitrate down to zero in an amazing 8 days thanks to Seachem Stability (super impressed!). Will wait a few more weeks for shrimp, but question is where is a good source in US? Seems like all Hawaiian suppliers no longer exist. Found 2 on eBay and one other on internet, but want someone who knows what they are doing and has a good starting supply with good color.

Also attaching a pic...i know it’s not close to their native environment but wife and kids wanted “pretty” so I let them pick out rocks and decor (they hated black lava rock, oh well). I’m also starting with some brackish MTS, chaeto and angel hair moss (aka hair algae). Note all rock was dry reef base (not live despite color which I assume is fake). And despite the controversy have a small very low flow internal filter with fine mesh media bag covering it.

Thank all!
Bill
A4D22BD5-51A8-4BA2-9634-B867D57F3FEC.jpeg
A4D22BD5-51A8-4BA2-9634-B867D57F3FEC.jpeg (277.62 KiB) Viewed 6694 times
 #8840  by odin

Welcome to the forum! The tank looks a good size and I’m sure the shrimp will love it, keep an eye on the hair algae though as it can out compete other plants if it gets a strong footing.

I believe one of our members @Vorteil sells Opae ula in the USA via eBay.. correct me if I am wrong... he knows what’s up when it comes to these shrimp.

If you need any more help just put up a post and one of us will be along to help.

:wink:
 #8845  by Bill2020

Thanks Odin. I found Vorteil on eBay, looks to be one of the better sellers. I ordered the brackish chaeto and it came with the hair algae too. I didn’t really want it...but the kids wanted it in there, so it’s in there, but will trim back or remove if it starts growing too much.
 #8850  by Vorteil

@Odin thank you.

@bill
Where did you get the algae that’s in your tank right now? The marimo balls? IMHO I would remove the one that looks like hair algae. That one will outcompete the other one and start to overtake the tank. It grows very fast. If you’re looking for Opae feel free to reach out to me.

@opae Ula related
I would be surprised if the Hawaii Opae Ula site was back to selling. The owner was just doing a fund raiser on the pool they used to collect at that was wiped out by the volcano.
 #8853  by Vorteil

Vorteil wrote:@Odin thank you.

@bill
Where did you get the algae that’s in your tank right now? The marimo balls? IMHO I would remove the one that looks like hair algae. That one will outcompete the other one and start to overtake the tank. It grows very fast. If you’re looking for Opae feel free to reach out to me.

@opae Ula related
I would be surprised if the Hawaii Opae Ula site was back to selling. The owner was just doing a fund raiser on the pool they used to collect at that was wiped out by the volcano.
the site has always stayed up.
 #8857  by Bill2020

@Vorteil
I bought the algae and moss balls before finding this and other blogs, but all are for brackish. Algae is from that shrimp bubble site, the chaeto looks nice...but yes I was also worried about the hair algae using up nutrients.

I got the moss ball from google.com. Supposedly the only true brackish ones (but expensive). I read marimo won’t survive very long over 1.005, so not going to even try it.

I’ll most likely order the shrimp from you. I have some other questions, do you have an email, or I can PM you.

Thanks!
 #8858  by JoeG

Bill did you get the moss ball from Pet shrimp Or did you really get it from google.com? It’s strange but when you type the words “pet+shrimp” together the word “google” shows up instead in the preview.

If it was google.com where do you go from there?

Thanks
 #8859  by odin

I’ve filtered that web address for that website as the owner of it removes our web address and banned me :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro