Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #8844  by potion123456

Hi sorry for the late update. I was overseas for an exhange programme. Im now back in Singapore and recently redid my whole tank as it was overrun with brown algae.

Here's how it looks after 1 day of set up. Waters still cloudy from sediments i believe.

I attached an image of it before it was redone

I added 3 table spoons of sea salt to about 4.5 liters of distilled water. Hope that's the right amount cos I used some online converter to get 1.01 sg.

There is no filter of any kind now as im heeding the community's advice on this.

Is there anything else to note while doing this? When will be a good time to introduce fauna and which should I use? And I tend to get mosquito larvae in still waters... anyone knows what i can do? Fish will probably snack on both shrimp and the larvae right?ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

#8856  by potion123456

Hmm any fauna that will eat mosquito larvae but not the shrimp/shrimplets will do but I've been researching and haven't found any yet. I am wondering if brine shrimps can sustain in there together with the opae ulas? I just added a bunch of eggs yesterday

#8860  by opae ula related

potion123456 wrote:Hmm any fauna that will eat mosquito larvae but not the shrimp/shrimplets will do but I've been researching and haven't found any yet. I am wondering if brine shrimps can sustain in there together with the opae ulas? I just added a bunch of eggs yesterday

Got it. Not that i know of. I tried brine shrimp with Opae ula but they didnt live long.
 #8861  by odin

Reduce lights, and get some nerite snails!
 #8865  by potion123456

Hello all! Thanks for the advice :) appreciate it very much.

Here's an update on the tank.
There's a cloudy layer at the bottom that looks like a concentrated salt water layer but I'm not sure what it is. There also appears to be a large bloom of white dots. Anyone got any idea what they might be?
But water has cleared up, and looks great so far! Im thinking of getting some chaetos to replace the hair algae tree as it looks like it might get out of hand soon.

Can i just throw in store bought nerites immediately? Or should i acclimatise them slowly with some drip method?

On the side note, i am starting a another (triops) tank, amidst all the other tanks that exist in my room ImageImageImageImageImageImage

#8867  by odin

Yeah just pop them in the tank, they do great in brackish water.. they prefer it to fresh water to be honest but make sure you have a lid on the tank as they escape and will end up on the floor!

I love the tanks, I see you have more then one :smile: are you going to keep the sea can and just remove the hair algae? Oh and be sure to share some photos of the triops when they get big enough.
 #8880  by potion123456

Hello! Updates again hehe

I've bought my shrimps already and im leaving them in the container for a while.

I've removed the hair algae by rolling it like candy floss on a stick. Should i change water one last time before i put in the shrimps?

On the side note, i bought some sulawesi shrimps, gonna give them a go. Hope they don't die on me like my previous batch did. They are reallyyyy picky with water parameters. My triops tank has nothing apparent going on maybe they are still small or maybe the eggs are no longer viable... need to wait it out i guess.

Cheers everyone :)ImageImageImage

#8881  by potion123456

By the way what are bubbles on the rocks? Are they oxygen produced by algae? These rocks are still quite fresh (less than a week) so i doubt the algae has grown on them? I hope to achieve a lush bushy algae carpeted rock like these ( not my photo). Anyone has any suggestions? Should i on my lights for 12 hours or something. ImageImage