Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #8843  by JoeG

A photo of some of the two week old larvae, there were 24 total, and a new little mossball on the left lava rock, it is also two weeks old!

A photo of the newest berried female. She showed up a day after the larvae were released. Seems like there is usually only one berried shrimp at a time, they are taking turns.
Attachments:
Larvae
Larvae
B87E6981-D045-43A4-8DBC-F9201EF21603.jpeg (845.94 KiB) Viewed 9176 times
Berried female
Berried female
AD0D5E3C-2652-4B84-A1E3-AC623D395A39.jpeg (585.51 KiB) Viewed 9176 times
 #8846  by tzg

JoeG wrote: 17 Feb 2020 01:56 A photo of some of the two week old larvae, there were 24 total, and a new little mossball on the left lava rock, it is also two weeks old!

A photo of the newest berried female. She showed up a day after the larvae were released. Seems like there is usually only one berried shrimp at a time, they are taking turns.
Hi JoeG, what did you put in the tank to make the algae grow like this? :laugh:
 #8854  by JoeG

TZG - nothing! The tank is 2 years old as of December and I have only fed the shrimp maybe a dozen times. I use spirulina to feed them (a toothpick tip size of food) maybe once a month. The tank is 5 gallons and I started with 30 shrimp. As of last August they finally started to breed and now if all the babies have lived they are up to 107 shrimp! There is always lots of poo on the algae and between that and the light from led bulbs and reflection from an East facing window the algae grows real well.

I haven’t really seen this type of algae in any of the pictures of Opae ula tanks but it is soft and light green and stays pretty small. The shrimp are always all over it picking at the food it supplies. They apparently don’t eat the algae itself but they definitely feed off whatever is growing on it.
 #8871  by odin

I agree that short fluffy algae looks amazing! You should grow and sell it online.