Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #8874  by Owlbit

Just curious if anyone has tried giving them seaweed.

I got curious and gave my shrimps wakame. It was about an inch square piece. I soaked it in boiling water for about a minute to re-hydrate, then rinsed again with water to cool and remove any possible coatings on it. (I use filtered water only and not tap or other non-drinking water.) The shrimps showed some interest in it and would go to it on occasion, but they did not swarm it. Slowly the seaweed piece has been disappearing, or dissolving. Not sure which. It has been a week now and it is a thin translucent piece that is almost gone.

Anyone else ever got curious and experimented?
 #8875  by opae ula related

Owlbit wrote:Just curious if anyone has tried giving them seaweed.

I got curious and gave my shrimps wakame. It was about an inch square piece. I soaked it in boiling water for about a minute to re-hydrate, then rinsed again with water to cool and remove any possible coatings on it. (I use filtered water only and not tap or other non-drinking water.) The shrimps showed some interest in it and would go to it on occasion, but they did not swarm it. Slowly the seaweed piece has been disappearing, or dissolving. Not sure which. It has been a week now and it is a thin translucent piece that is almost gone.

Anyone else ever got curious and experimented?

In one Anchialine pool, it was full of seaweed so it thrives in Brackish water. I don’t think Opae ula eat the seaweed but I do think they eat the algae growing on it.
 #8916  by odin

I don’t live any where near the sea so I don’t have access to seaweed unfortunately, I just feed mine algae.
 #8924  by Owlbit

It is dried seaweed for human consumption. I cook it with my rice. :lol: I would be cautious of adding fresh seaweed from the ocean.

Can't say it made any difference to put it in the tank. It slowly disappeared... in what way not sure. Maybe slowly picked off or disintegrated.
 #8935  by odin

Ahhh I see :laugh: :laugh: I had the image of a big ball of seaweed floating in your tank! lol.