Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #9046  by yabbydabby

Hello everyone new member from holland.

Recently I got some of the shrimps from a friend I made a home from a 5 liter preserving jar.In the glass lid I drilled a hole to fit the Philips hue white and color candlelight I made a airtight sealing with adhesive with a high tack.this type of lamp is controllable by WiFi in intensity color and duration.
On the floor is some fine coral sand and some shells for shelter and decoration.
In the future I like to find some cheatomorpha the fine type for brackish water. The water I use is from my marine tank with reverse osmosis water and now salinity is 1015.in the fresh setup I used some active carbon.
I received about 10 shrimps and some larvae yesterday after introducing to their new habitat they were very restless an racing through the jar.
Today they look relaxed and searching on the surface of the shells, the larvae hanging peaceful in the water close to the surface.
After a few weeks I will post an update

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
 #9047  by odin

Welcome to our Opae ula forum! I really like the shrimp jar you have put together and that is a fancy light for them (I’ve seen them online, they also do a wireless dimmer switch too which looks neat).

I sell the macro algae you seek but I’m not sure if I can send to the EU, it depends on your laws unless you know of someone who can pass it on to you from the UK.

I’d love to see your marine tank at some point too if you get the chance :cool:

Enjoy the forum.
 #9048  by yabbydabby

Thanks for the welcome,

I love to make the things myself so it’s built exactly how I want it. Very happy to hear that you have the cheato I want maybe you can just give it a try to post it, I don’t know the law exactly about sending this species. Of course I pay for all the costs. My main interest for joining the forum is to learn about the shrimps and give them a good,long and happy life. I realize my setup needs time to come in balance, will monitor the parameters ammonium and nitrite in the beginning and refresh water until balance is accomplished.

#9049  by odin

Sounds like you know what you are doing! If you need any help just ask away and someone will help you :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #9050  by yabbydabby

Thanks, I will do that.
Here a picture from my marine tank, at the moment I have a little problem with cyano algae’s I try to solve Image

#9062  by yabbydabby

Unfortunately one off the shells had some dirty remains of the former owner.i noticed some mist in the water and I missed my larvae the adults where okay. I did some measurements and the conclusion was there was too much nitrite.i removed all the shells immediately and applied a full water change. Now the adults are fine i added a little sea lettuce (Ulva lactuca) I found in a corner of my marine tank. Also added a few drops of starter bacteria and left the setup alone. Now the sea lettuce is growing is doubled in size it acclimated well to the brackish water.

#9063  by yabbydabby

At this moment I finished painting of the jar and leave it alone for drying, there was some stray light now it’s more relaxing for the eyes and gives more focus to the interior.Image

#9067  by odin

Ahh yeah sometimes it’s best to boil shells and stuff before or add some biodigest to your tank to combat the nitrites and nitrates.

At least you noticed it though!

#9068  by yabbydabby

odin wrote:Ahh yeah sometimes it’s best to boil shells and stuff before or add some biodigest to your tank to combat the nitrites and nitrates.

At least you noticed it though!

I boiled the shells in reverse osmosis water but there was some remaining tissue from the snail in the shell. Now the shells are in the canister of the marine tank there is more than enough buffer to clean them. After a few weeks I will replace some of the shells.and add a little biodigest with the shells. very glad I noticed the problems in time. The sea lettuce is about doubled in size now.

#9076  by odin

Oh awesome! I hope it continues to grow and flourish, we are very limited to what will grow in brackish water tanks.