Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Having issues with your tank or inhabitants? Need to know what equipment to use or have other questions? Post here!
 #9119  by odin

Lol at ‘shed’... yeah if it’s pure white and very translucent it’s a moult. You will know if it’s a dead shrimp as it will take ages to break down and disappear. These shrimp do moult naturally but if the water is bad or changes conditions very fast (moved from one tank to another) they will mould as a result.

If ever in doubt change it out, can’t beat good water changes.

Here is a moult: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22&p=2713&hilit=Moult#p2713
 #9120  by Chieza186

odin wrote: 25 May 2020 18:09 Lol at ‘shed’... yeah if it’s pure white and very translucent it’s a moult. You will know if it’s a dead shrimp as it will take ages to break down and disappear. These shrimp do moult naturally but if the water is bad or changes conditions very fast (moved from one tank to another) they will mould as a result.

If ever in doubt change it out, can’t beat good water changes.

Here is a moult: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22&p=2713&hilit=Moult#p2713

Thanks for the info...it makes a lot of sense. After a huge water change I saw 2 molts today but good news is that some shrimp are getting their color back. I will now just leave them alone. After only having freshwater tropical fish it is a huge change to not fuss over a tank...
Attachments:
417AB13A-88F5-4992-B2F1-507E5D638A07.jpeg
417AB13A-88F5-4992-B2F1-507E5D638A07.jpeg (185.37 KiB) Viewed 4919 times
 #9121  by odin

They look like moults to me, don’t fret over what happened it’s all a learning curve when it comes to these shrimps. You have to pretty much learn all over again with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #9125  by Opaelover

Chieza186 wrote:Thanks for the advice. I was looking at that same filter on eBay and glad to see it in the same tank. Seems like your shrimp aren’t bothered by it so I will put a mini sponge filter in as well. The lava rock caves must be such a playground for them.
Opea like to hide, I normally stack rock /stone to built a cave like structure for them, somehow these rock will prone to collapse, so better to use aquatic glue.
From your picture these are indeed opae moulted skin, left it there, it will be consumed back later by the shrimp.
I'm also using seachem prime, but doesn't need to dose it everyday unless you try to temporary bind ammonia/nitrite toxicity.
For all bacteria additives that I use before including stability, I find that Brightwell Microbacter 7 is tge best, it helped eliminate one of my tank that have some cyanobacteria issue.

Sent from my LIO-L29 using Tapatalk