Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #8001  by Vorteil

Ok so while looking in my 5g I noticed something swimming quickly through the tank. Racing around was a gammarus shrimp or scud. It's a freshwater crustacean. I think I figured out how it got in there. I have a turkey baster that I use on my tanks to suck up any unwanted items. I have scuds in all of my FW shrimp tanks. I like them & they're fun to watch. They don't harm the tank & feed and dead & decaying plant material. Great live food souce for fish. I believe it was in the turkey baster when I used it to remove some of the baby MTS snails in the tank. I will try to remove it when I get a chance. There are salt water versions of scuds as well.
scuds.jpg
scuds.jpg (30.46 KiB) Viewed 7266 times
scud.jpg
scud.jpg (4.61 KiB) Viewed 7266 times
 #9148  by opaeforever

Vorteil wrote: 17 Jul 2019 17:16 Ok so while looking in my 5g I noticed something swimming quickly through the tank. Racing around was a gammarus shrimp or scud. It's a freshwater crustacean. I think I figured out how it got in there. I have a turkey baster that I use on my tanks to suck up any unwanted items. I have scuds in all of my FW shrimp tanks. I like them & they're fun to watch. They don't harm the tank & feed and dead & decaying plant material. Great live food souce for fish. I believe it was in the turkey baster when I used it to remove some of the baby MTS snails in the tank. I will try to remove it when I get a chance. There are salt water versions of scuds as well.
scuds.jpgscud.jpg
i have some in one of my tank, hitchhiker from some marine algae.
i quickly remove them all(took quite sometime) as i suspect them will prey on the opae larvae and small baby as they can growth to 0.6cm and larger.
 #9161  by odin

Interesting, I notice things that shouldn’t be in the tank now and again but they never live for very long.