Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #9493  by Johnny Max

I was able to get a moss covered rock from a fellow Opae Ula rancher that was growing in their Opae Ula tank.
And I am thankful. They post here sometimes.
Anyway. We all know about the Hair Macro Algae some people have. You can see it in the back of my picture.
But I think they have found another type of moss that will thrive in our brackish tanks.
I bet they can market it, if they can get it to spread to new rocks.
I took a picture of the rock that is covered with the moss, that seems to grow over surfaces.
I am planning to get a bag of lava rock and see if I can cut small pieces of the moss and tie them to the surface and get them to grow over the rock.
Anyone have a better idea of how to do it?
I wonder what type of algae, or moss it is?
News Moss 1.jpg
News Moss 1.jpg (1 MiB) Viewed 18304 times
New Moss 2.jpg
New Moss 2.jpg (839.9 KiB) Viewed 18304 times
New Moss 3.jpg
New Moss 3.jpg (255.46 KiB) Viewed 18304 times
 #9495  by odin

Looks like a normal marimo, what is your salinity?
 #9497  by Johnny Max

odin wrote: 28 Oct 2020 19:20 Looks like a normal marimo, what is your salinity?
1.013, but it is growing on a rock.
I never had marimo balls before, are they growing on rocks?
 #9502  by Johnny Max

Shrimpkeeper wrote: 31 Oct 2020 20:54 Interesting. If it is covering a rock it would be something new. Regular marimos usually don't grow on rocks. The one I tried yellowed and slowly died.
I am going to try to take some off of the rock and see if I can get it t attache and cover other rocks or items.
It will take some time, but I will try to take pictures.
 #9513  by Johnny Max

It was almost impossible to get the moss off of the lava rock. It was growing into the rock. I tried to scrape some off. I am not sure if it will grow from what I scraped off. I tried to press it into holes in a new clean lava rock. When I put it in the aquarium half of it floated off, but half stayed where I put it. We shall see, growth will be slow, if at all.
I had just bought a kit to help care for a planted tank. It had long tweezers in it. I used it to position the rock and try to reposition some of the moss that floated off.
We shall see... :plain:
Scraped Algae.jpg
Scraped Algae.jpg (22.69 KiB) Viewed 18164 times
rock.jpg
rock.jpg (106.75 KiB) Viewed 18164 times
Placed Rock.jpg
Placed Rock.jpg (53.86 KiB) Viewed 18164 times
 #9515  by odin

Good luck and keep us up to date!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #9536  by Johnny Max

Vorteil wrote: 06 Nov 2020 21:37 Experiment with it. There's so little plants available for brackish. Curious to see if it will spread or regrow
First test was a failure, not because the plants died though. The Opae Ula ate every piece I trimmed off and put on the rock!
I will set up a tank just to experiment with the surface algae. I am surprised they ate it all in just a couple of days.
I guess they ate it because I cut it loose. Not sure?
 #9537  by Johnny Max

I just bought a bag of lava rocks from Lowes.
I will boil them and put them in a shallow tank of brackish water and see if I can get the new surface algae to propogate.
Any advice on things to try are welcomed.
I have a Tilapia tank and every week the nitrite get high before I do a 70% water change. I will use water from the tank before a water change to make the water brackish water from. That should give the algae plenty of nutrients. I am thinking about blowing bubbles into it through a straw every day. It won't put much CO2 in the water, but it will add a little.
Or, I can take sugar water in a bottle inoculated with brewer's yeast and let the CO2 produces bubble through a stone.
Input is welcomed. I am dissappointed the shrimp consumed mt experiment! :upset: