Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #7644  by Vorteil

One of my tanks "crashed" sometime between Monday & Tuesday. Outside temps here were up to 34c/93 degrees. My tank went from 23c/73 degrees to about 27c/81 degrees. I had a least 80 babies in that tank & counted only 4 last night. Can I assume this was due to the tanks temps jumping up too fast or even to high? Temps that these weren't used to? I've had my tank in the summer hover around 86-88 degrees & the opae are fine but no babies present when it's that high. All my tanks are in the garage & can't change that. I've had a constant flow of babies present in the tank & now this. Thoughts?
 #7651  by opae ula related

Vorteil wrote:One of my tanks "crashed" sometime between Monday & Tuesday. Outside temps here were up to 34c/93 degrees. My tank went from 23c/73 degrees to about 27c/81 degrees. I had a least 80 babies in that tank & counted only 4 last night. Can I assume this was due to the tanks temps jumping up too fast or even to high? Temps that these weren't used to? I've had my tank in the summer hover around 86-88 degrees & the opae are fine but no babies present when it's that high. All my tanks are in the garage & can't change that. I've had a constant flow of babies present in the tank & now this. Thoughts?

Ouch, the 4 you have could be newly released and not from the original 80ish.

My tanks were at 90+ degrees yesterday. 5+ or - from 70 is ideal right for larvae success right?
I dont really keep track of the larvae anymore but I will shine a flashlight at night to see how many will be attracted to it. Most recent was the 10 released in that light attraction video.
 #7655  by opae ula related

Vorteil wrote:The others had no babies in them since I had moved them around a bit and changed a few things in the tanks. I just spoke with my buddy in Oahu & his tank gets pretty warm. He still has babies swimming around.
Do you know his tank size and temps? So you think it was the temps jumping too fast?
 #7656  by odin

Was this tank that crashed only housing larvae? When I use the term crash it’s when everything dies in the tank and the PH goes too low etc, tank isn’t recoverable and needs re doing again.

My tanks have been fine in 28deg C but breeding pretty much stopped. I find 22 to 25 deg C is perfect for breeding.

Sorry for the losses :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #7658  by Vorteil

@odin I agree "crashed" is the wrong term. Just in mourning. I think it was too much of a spike for the babies to handle but a few did survive. Now I'm wondering if I put one of my chillers on will that stabilize the tank? I've seen berried females in there. Temps here have dropped and my tanks are at 78 degrees and the ones with a chiller are at 70. I can assume my jars are still in the 70's. I checked last night and there's still babies floating around.
 #7695  by Vorteil

So the high temps have subsided and the tank is going back to normal. There's been more babies born. I will take the precaution when the temps rise again and stick one of the CoolWorks IceProbe Aquairum Chillers on the tank. I don't want to take any chances. The tanks is doing great again.
IMG_6220.JPG
IMG_6220.JPG (28.67 KiB) Viewed 7223 times
IMG_6223.JPG
IMG_6223.JPG (31.76 KiB) Viewed 7223 times
Side view of the tank
IMG_6222.JPG
IMG_6222.JPG (25.91 KiB) Viewed 7223 times
Berried female. Had to take the pic quick. I rarely see the berried females.
IMG_6026.JPG
IMG_6026.JPG (36.19 KiB) Viewed 7223 times