Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #10213  by emerout

Hello,

I discovered a few weeks ago the Opae Ula shrimps.
I was thinking about re-building from scratch a freshwater tank and finally decided to set up and Opea Ula one. I already own two other freshwater tanks, with shrimps and fishes.

Here is the material :
- Scaper's Tank Dennerle 35L (about 27 liters of water)
- Aragonite sand
- Holestone rocks
- A light
No filter, no heater.
20220222_212836.jpg
20220222_212836.jpg (1.56 MiB) Viewed 18522 times
Yeah, it's a bit flashy :-)

The tank is cycling since 3 days.
I don't know yet the salinity, it should be about 17ppt, I have ordered a floating densimeter.

Opae Ula shrimps are not yet well known in France, I know two online stores that are selling them.

No one sells brackish water acclimated snails, I will try to buy freshwater MTS, and acclimate them, any recommendations about this process ?

Also, I would like to put chaetomorpha algae, but only reef stores are selling them, not acclimated to BW...

Are the test usually used for FW can be also used for testing parameters in BW ? (ph, no2, no3, ...)
 #10214  by odin

Welcome to the forum! That tank is going to be great when it matures and filled with shrimp! Now to answer some of your questions.

- I would have a heater in there set to around 22 to 24 Degrees C.
- try nerite snails, they are actual brackish snails so adapt very well when you buy them as fresh water or marine snails.
- I’d aim for around 1.010 to 1.014 salinity.
- the liquid test kit I’d buy is the marine version.
- if you can get my macro algae to France then I can sell you some but u don’t ship out if the UK.

Any other questions feel free to ask away, alit if the time keeping shrimp comes down to personal preference so don’t be confused if others have slightly different ways of doing tanks :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #10217  by emerout

Hello and thanks for your advices @odin

It was not the plan to add an heater : the tank is beautified without any tech inside it !
Then I'm afraid of the malfunction and the fact there would be not water movement in the tank. What about an "hot spot" around the heater ?
Perhaps I can add one during the first weeks to speed up the algae growth, and then removing it when the shrimps came in.

I don't like the neritin eggs laid all over the tank :-)
But if its better, I will get one or two : after all, the gravel and the stones are white like the eggs !
Is it a good idea to mix neritin and trumpet snails ?

Unfortunately, I don't have contacts in the UK to serve as a relay, I'll look a french opae owner.