Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #10282  by Rex113

Hi everyone, it’s been quite a while since I visited this site. I am pretty excited because I have some Metabetaeus Lohena babies that have survived for four days. They are no longer bobbing up and down, they are resting against the algae on the side glass. One is even attempting to swim horizontally in short bursts. Has anyone had a similar experience?
 #10283  by Javik

That's exciting. I have high hopes your Lohena survive. Did you do anything different in your set up?

Semi-related, I've always wondered if the "hooks" on Lohena larvae suggests some form of parasitic (for transportation?) stage with another organism.

Keep us updated!
 #10284  by Vorteil

What's your waters salinity? Are you feeding these or plan to? I thought I read somewhere that their yolk sack was good for a few days after that they need live food.

I'm going to try & breed these. I'm planning to breed amano shrimp & I believe the ML larvae can be raised the same way.
 #10285  by Rex113

Today is day 5, possibly day 6 and I have 3 survivors. My salinity is full salt 1.026 no light, heater, filter, or any type of water circulation. The tank is 3 gallons and has some live rock in it.
 #10287  by opae ula related

Rex113 wrote:Today is day 5, possibly day 6 and I have 3 survivors. My salinity is full salt 1.026 no light, heater, filter, or any type of water circulation. The tank is 3 gallons and has some live rock in it.
Nice! How many you started with? If they live pass 11 days, then you have something no one else has done. : )