Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #10439  by Yvonne Mok

Hi, I am a beginner who is trying to learn and keep shrimp as a pet. I just bought a glass jar keeping opae ula yesterday. The seller said I could keep the glass airtight. However, it doesn't sound right to keep it airtight for an extended period. I would like to get some advice on keeping this shrimp in good and proper care. As I am reading some comments saying shrimp molting is due to stressful environment and growing to a smaller mass size, which makes me feel very upset to have them. Here are my enquiries:
1. Is it okay to keep the shrimp in a glass jar with 800ml size?
2. How often should I open the glass cover to allow the fresh air to dissolve in the glass?
3. How frequently should I change the water?
4. Is it necessary to install a filtering system? or should I just monitor the water quality from time to time?

I would highly appreciate it if you could provide me with some advice. Thank you very much.
Attachments:
glassjar.jpeg
glassjar.jpeg (151.96 KiB) Viewed 36320 times
 #10440  by odin

Welcome to the forum!

You can open the lid once a week and let the air in and out, I’d move them to a larger tank or cube if possible but not essential to their health but they may not breed in the jar.

Moulting is fine and normal so long as they have access to food. In the sealed jars if they don’t get food they will shrink in size until there is nothing left.

No filter needed but make sure they stay warm, they prefer mid 20 degree C temperatures.

No water changes needed unless the water becomes contaminated with something, air fresheners or other things that have found their way into the water.

If you get evaporation just replace with Reverse Osmosis water or distilled water.

Enjoy! :wink: :happy:
 #10441  by solomalawi.

This is mine, I have the lid on, not completely closed, I never change the water, until now (1 year) I have never topped up, because being semi-closed, evaporation is minimal, I top up every 15 days with a pinhead of spirulina powder, very little,Image

Inviato dal mio SNE-LX1 utilizzando Tapatalk

#10444  by Yvonne Mok

Thank you for the advice :smile: . Very helpful and cleared my doubt. Hopefully, I could get them a large cube tank later. :grin2:
By the way, sometimes I saw them swimming near the water's surface, but just a while. Could it be a lack of oxygen?
 #10445  by odin

Yvonne Mok wrote:Thank you for the advice :smile: . Very helpful and cleared my doubt. Hopefully, I could get them a large cube tank later. :grin2:
By the way, sometimes I saw them swimming near the water's surface, but just a while. Could it be a lack of oxygen?
These shrimp thrive in low oxygenated water so dont worry about that, they will be at the surface eating delicious biofilm.