Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Having issues with your tank or inhabitants? Need to know what equipment to use or have other questions? Post here!
 #10482  by Koeny

I started my 2.5 gallon no filter Opae Ula tank late 2022. I used distilled water and added salt to a salinity of 1.010 and added bacteria and some fish food. After a month of nothing happening I realised my starter bacteria might have been old and I put in some I freshly bought. Nitrite spike happened early January and now 2 months later nitrites were still of the charts. Suffered a bacterial bloom so temporarily I put in a filter. Did my first water change a week ago but nitrites are still higher than 1 mg/liter. Nitrates are around 20mg/liter. Algae are forming and the wait drives me up the wall.

Do I continue waiting for Godot or do I remove all the water and fill it freshly so NO2 and NO3 will be present in trace amounts and put in shrimp immediately? They should have a low bioload so a spike in ammonia or nitrite will not happen quickly (but eventually?). Could I get away with this while testing weekly and changing water when necessary?
Attachments:
IMG-2716.jpg
IMG-2716.jpg (1.5 MiB) Viewed 19960 times